Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Well, what did the letter say?

My guess is that you didn't pay taxes.

The IRS says:

In general, individuals who had a federal income tax liability for 2000 and who could not be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return are eligible for a 2001 advance payment this year. You had a liability if your tax was greater than the amount of your nonrefundable credits, such as the child tax credit, education credits or child care credit. Refundable credits - such as the earned income tax credit - are not a factor in determining eligibility or computing the credit or the advance payment.

See for more.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.