UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: buzman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76082  
Subject: Re: Am I doing this right? Date: 4/26/2004 9:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Well you are on the right track, but what good will that do if train comes down the track.

This is what I see.

The bulk of the retirement funding comes from your wife's retirement plan. Probably 403b, which are notorious for having limited choices and high fees. If you see the letters TIAA-CREF you are OK. Of course if she cuts back her hours there goes retirement planning.

Since you are self-employed, I assume that your health insurance is coming from your wife's employer. Will they still cover her if she works part-time?

Even if you max out your Roth, you still need to increase your savings either thru a SEP or a solo K.

And we are trying to save for house down payment.

Also funding college.

You did not mention an emergency fund. Ditto life insurance.

Sounds like a job for a professional. There are several well meaning and some darn good people here, but there are some that are not.

You have several competing goals.

Sounds like a job for a professional. There are several well meaning and some darn good people here and some that think they are.

www.garrettplanningnetwork.com If there is one in your area, check it out

Disclaimer, I am a member of the Garrett Planning Network.

Buz Livingston

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement