Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DrShowMe Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 294  
Subject: Re: successful investors:I need your help!!! Date: 4/5/2000 6:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Well, you've made the most important step - starting early. I'm 30 years older than you and didn't start serious investment (aside from employer plans) until I was in mid- to late 40's. My spouse and I retired 2 years ago. The rest of this is what I tell my children - the youngest is about your age. It is just one person's opinion and I have one basic caveat: Free advice is often worth every cent you pay for it.

First, fund your 401(k)/403(b) to the extent required to get any matching funds from your employer.

Second, if your income level qualifies you for one, fund a Roth IRA to the maximum allowed.

Third, fund that 401(k)/403(b) to the maximum (I think that is $10,500 this year).

Time out! You didn't indicate whether your $200 per month is outside these type of plans; so I have made some assumptions here.

Fourth, invest in growth stocks and mutual funds. If you are a newbie to investing, I recommend starting with mutual funds. With due deference to TMF, I think the best way to understand mutual funds is to read the Consumer Reports review of same - March 2000 issue in any decent public library.

TMF has a lot of different investment strategies for individual stocks. Be sure you understand them thoroughly before embarking on one. I would recommend starting a shadow portfolio first - that is, select stocks, pretend you are investing in them, and follow the progress of the shadow porfolio first. Be sure to account for any broker commissions in your figures.

I have used the NAIC methodology and philosophy for the last 10 years and have found it to be sound. My portfolio of stocks has an annualized return over that period well in excess of 25%. I think there is a pointer to them somewhere on TMF; but their website is www.better-investing.org.

Invest early, invest regularly, invest in growth, reinvest all dividends, diversify. Buy and hold; the only one that gets rich on frequent trading is your broker.

Free advice is often worth every cent you pay for it.

Good luck!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement