UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ShelbyBoy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 128201  
Subject: Wells and well pumps Date: 12/9/2012 9:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a well on my property that is not being used. I also have a pond. I want to pump water from the well and let it flow downhill to make a small waterfall for the pond.

The water is about 25 feet down in the well so that's how far I'll need to lift. I don't need much volume, maybe 1-1.5 gallons per minute. I don't need much pressure as the water will flow downhill to the pond.

Can anyone give me some suggestions for electric well pumps that will deliver and the approximate cost? Also, I'd like to determine approximately how much electrictiy I'll use per month with the pump running continuously.

Thanks to anyone with knowledge who responds.

ShelbyBoy
Print the post Back To Top
Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 123309 of 128201
Subject: Re: Wells and well pumps Date: 12/9/2012 10:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I have a well on my property that is not being used. I also have a pond. I want to pump water from the well and let it flow downhill to make a small waterfall for the pond.

I don't get this set up. Usually such waterfalls are done with water from the pond pumped uphill and allowed to trickle back down to the source. If you just have water coming from the well and flowing into the pond, without having a place for the incoming water to go, your pond will soon over flow.

When we replaced our submergeable well pump it was somewhere around $2k. We are in a pretty high COL area, though.

IP

Author: foo1bar Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 123311 of 128201
Subject: Re: Wells and well pumps Date: 12/9/2012 11:47 AM
Recommendations: 4
Also, I'd like to determine approximately how much electrictiy I'll use per month with the pump running continuously.

It's a 25' deep well. That's pretty shallow - can it keep up with even 1.5 gallons/min if you run it continuously for months? (1.5 * 60 * 24 = 2160 gallons each day.)
that isn't as bad as I was thinking - but now I'm thinking about whether 1.5gpm (90gph) is really enough for a water feature - that's not a lot of water flowing - I'm not sure it'll give the desired water-fall effect.
Maybe run a hose from your house to a mock-up of what you want - adjust the flow until you see about what you want.
Then grab a 5 gallon bucket and time how long it takes to fill the bucket.

If you're going to run it continuously, I'd think a pump drawing from the pond makes more sense.

Author: Rile72 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 123329 of 128201
Subject: Re: Wells and well pumps Date: 12/11/2012 12:07 PM
Recommendations: 1
Too bad the pond is not below the level of the water in the well, then you could just start a siphon and would not have to install any pump, elect etc.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement