UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7822  
Subject: Re: It's....blowing up a storm here! Date: 11/3/2012 7:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
Well....that little note was sent 28 minutes before the transformer at the 14th St. substation exploded, and the power for lower Manhattan--including me--died. Finally got power back at 4:45am THIS morning.

Good thing the torrential rains didn't occur, because by the time they would have descended, there wasn't any power to run the building sump pumps. We did flood, but very minorly, about 1" and only about 60% of our downstairs. We had already prepared for a worst-case scenario, so everything that could get damaged was already in a safe place. But we baled by hand instead of shop-vac, and with flashlights tied to our beltloops. The enormous surge had pushed up through our area and come up through the basement floor drains, and from there under a shared wall and into our space.

It's been an interesting adventure, a challenge, fun in ways--though it all really began to wear thin toward the end. Most especially when power was back east of Broadway, north of 14th St, and some areas around Canal! We felt like the peasants watching the aristocracy feast inside the castle -- storm the ramparts!!!

The worst part was living with the cold, since we had no heat. Life gets pared to the basics. Some amazing examples all over of community spirit and giving. And how great it was on Wed. afternoon to find a place that had battery powered radios still on the shelves! WNYC became our lifeline. Till then, our son in Reno and daughter in Paris would call us to tell us what was happening in our neighborhood!

FANTASTIC WITH POWER BACK!!!! And we're eating out this evening. A wonderful new restaurant up the street from us--which handed out free food yesterday--has about 60% of its menu in service this evening. I've had it with the efforts of cooking this week, and I'm ready for a break.

And then.....clean out the fridge. And catch up on laundry, including all the dirty towels from the final stage of flood clean-up. And then....catching up with my own work.

And smiling the whole time! Light. Hot water. Heat. People in the streets. Traffic signals that work. Trains coming back.

And it breaks my heart, thinking about all of the people who lost their homes, and those who lost their neighborhoods as well.

sheila
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement