UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: brucedoe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 454773  
Subject: Re: Control Panel: Risk-off trade Date: 11/17/2012 2:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Wendy

I agree with your assessment and feel that we will be in a general downtrend until the "fiscal cliff" is solved in some manner. The rise in the stock indices Friday show just how much "investors" are looking at this. Even saying the "meetings was constructive" causes optimism although that is almost always said of meetings.

The high/low values of the NYSE turned negative on November 7th (the Democratic president effect) but has gotten worse this last week with a general decline in the new 52-week highs (Friday had only 14 and the final four trading days had fewer than any trading day the week before) and an increase in new 52-week lows (The final four trading days had more lows than any day the week before and hit 272 on Thursday). For the week we saw 133 new 52-week highs, which is all right, but 392 new 52-week lows which is certainly not. More than 10% of the stock traded on the NYSE hit a 52-week low sometime during the week and many more than once. Needless to say, the daily breadth was bad also.

The NASDAQ was no better with every trading day having new 52-week highs less than 40 (with only 14 on Friday) whereas the last four trading days were all higher than the week before (and high 187 on Thursday). Only 68 stocks hit new 52-week highs out of the 2658 stocks traded, not good. On the NASDAQ, 361 stocks hit new 52-week lows during the week, and 14% of the stocks traded hit a 52-week low at some point during the week, Again many more than once during the week. Definitely not good. Needless to say, the daily breadth was bad also.

As I said in the beginning, I expect this to continue until a solution to the "fiscal cliff" becomes apparent.

brucedoe
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement