UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: tjscott0 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 756925  
Subject: Went to Local Community College - Teeth Cleaning Date: 2/12/2013 9:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
My dentist retired last year. And I've been putting off having my teeth checked. Especially as my dentists only charged $75 for cleaning & xrays. The going rate is $125

My local community college has a dental hygienists program that needed patients. So I tried them.

It takes much longer 4 hours. I was warned in my first contact with the college.
1)the student is meticulous because their work is reviewed by an instructor. And the student is slower due the fact that they are inexperience.
2) The exam is much more extensive. They really check into gingivitis & measure for gum recession & feel the neck & look into the mouth for cancer. A portion of the time is spent to educate the patient. How one should brush & floss. Oh also they put a purple dye onto my teeth so I could see where the plaque was built up so I could concentrate in the future in those areas with my toothbrush. The worse part was the fluoride shellac they utilized. It tasted horrible. I say shellas because one's teeth look orangey yellow afterward. One must leave alone for an hour. I left it alone for 2 1/2 hours as I had errands to do. When I got home I checked my mouth. It was still orangey yellow. So I swished some water around into my mouth & spit. Much better now. Very white teeth.
At the very end of the process a local dentist checks every patients mouth.

OK the damage
teeth cleaning=$40
Fluoride varnish*=$6
Dentist evaluation=$15
xrays-complete set=$19
total cost=$80

I'm satisfied and good to go for a year IMHO

*http://voices.yahoo.com/adult-cavity-prevention-fluoride-var...
http://www.darrengardner-dds.com/blog/post/will-a-fluoride-v...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement