Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFHunzi Big red star, 1000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6774  
Subject: Re: Living with kids who want stuff... Date: 7/26/2000 2:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
We're lucky in that our kids don't ask for too many things, although my six year old introduced herself to someone in January as the Princess of the Planet GimmeGimme, which is next door to the Planet Waaaa. ;-)

I think some of this is due to that I'm really viligent on the amount of marketing that reaches my kids. They don't watch much commercial television, which I think is the biggest offender, and catalogs are kept to a minimum, just like you said you are doing. I try to make sure my kids know why there are ads on TV and elsewhere. Just yesterday in the grocery store, my younger child (6yrs) said something about seeing a product on TV, and I asked her why it was on tv, and reminded her people put things on tv to try to get other people to buy them.

She did ask for a candy bar at the check out counter, and I told her she could have one but it had to come out of her allowance. She decided to buy it and was excited to get a receipt. We just started allowances about a month ago, so this was the first time it had come up. I think it's going to work well.

My older child (11) is different. He hasn't seen the value in having an allowance yet. He actually keeps saying he doesn't want one. I have set up their allowances as virtual accounts with Money99, $5/wk drawn on the Bank of Mom & Dad. His needs are different, and I think he'll realize the advantage once he sees it adding up, and the next time he needs to get some camping gear or something for Scouts arrives.

On the topic of Hearthsong, that has to be my favorite kids catalog! They have such fun toys and awesome stocking stuffers. I try to keep it out of sight because the older did notice Santa seemed to bring similar stuff. ;-o (I think this may be the last year of Santa magic for him.)

Good luck on your quest to get your kids to move off the Planet GimmeGimme! ;-)

Always ;-)
Hunzi
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement