UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Wolfshead56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1955296  
Subject: Re: Now they are killing Buddists Date: 9/1/2004 10:45 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
were not operating in Iraq?

Who says they weren't operating? You say that they were operating in the US. Does that mean the US government was aiding and abetting? That's the inference. I'm saying that Saddam was one of the least likely people to support them considering that he was everything they hated.

It has been proven they at least had contact and were feeling each other out but you aver they could never hook up?

I'm sure they had contact but I didn't see anything about feeling each other out. Al-Qaeda asked and Iraq's government refused. Could they never hook up? Hell anything is possible which is why I say the least likely, not absolutely not. After all people have been know to screw up their own long term interests in favor of doing something stupid in their own short term ones. After all the US supported the Taliban and bin Laden when they were fighting the Soviets and Saddam when he was fighting Iran. I am just thinking that Saddam was a lot more localized in his thinking of conquest so he didn't have to deal with all the geo-political ramifications the US does so there was no sense in supporting al-Qaeda at the time. Their danger to him if they ever gained a foothold in his country far outweighed any damage they could do to the US that would help him. After all he had a prime example of that scenario on his own doorstep in Jordan.

herb
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement