UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: phoolishandy Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 181  
Subject: Westjet Date: 11/6/2001 6:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I really wish there were specific boards for Canadian companies such as WestJet at the Fool, but, this will have to do.

Since 9/11, I have made many observations about WestJet, and the airline industry:

1) The most important one, I think, is the fact that WestJet and Southwest are the only large, profitable, airlines left.

2) As a resident of Hamilton, Ontario, I have noticed an outrageous increase in the number of flights to and from Hamilton. To me, this is the best indication of WestJet's health.

3) Further encouraging news is the recent declaration of WestJet's purchase of more aircraft, and the expediting of the deliveries of those aircraft. This clearly indicates that WestJet sees increased demand in the future. Of course, the other clear indication of WestJet's expanding demand is their stabilized load factors in the wake of the recent attacks.

4) The next positive indicator is WestJet's recent additions and expansions of new and existing routes. Clearly, this business is growing, and at a rate which exhibits their relative health to that of other airlines.

Now to valuation:

WestJet currently has a P/E lower than that of Southwest's. In my opinion, WestJet takes advantage of many competitive advantages that it's southern neighbour does. These would include, but are not limited to; fuel cost hedging, cheap and happy labour due to extensive profit sharing plan, one plane for entire fleet, ownership of their own flight simulators. WestJet is arguably far better situated for future growth, especially with the decline of Air Canada and Canada 3000 opening up new route possibilities.

For all these reasons, and more, WestJet is wothy of my money.

- Phoolishandy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: OperaBob Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 159 of 181
Subject: Re: Westjet Date: 11/13/2001 12:24 AM
andy,

I really wish there were specific boards for Canadian companies such as WestJet at the Fool, but, this will have to do.

1. Click - Discussion Boards
2. Click - Speakers Corner
3. Click - Request a Board

OB

Author: UnkaBob Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 174 of 181
Subject: Re: Westjet Date: 3/4/2002 2:40 PM
An unrelated topic
Your West Jet boarding pass gets you entry to the Hamilton Air Museum just a short walk from the terminal,for those who are into old airplanes with some time to kill.
Bob

Author: gixxerboy Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 177 of 181
Subject: Re: Westjet Date: 8/8/2003 6:31 PM
Here are a few observations from a non-investment point of view:

1) They keep their costs very low by paying very little but providing sound bonuses (as mentioned above). I found out just HOW low when I applied kind of for fun for a job there - financial/operational audit related. It was a good 20k less than I would have expected. Even in "management" type positions they appear to attract young folks who can grow into the position.

2) Clive Bedows (sp?)was on a flight I took (I fly WestJet at every opportunity). Not only was he jovial as he met and shook hands with about everyone on the plane, he helped pick up garbage with the crew - and not just the odd piece - he was right in there with the garbage bag walking up and down. Tone from the top - definitely the right direction. Could you imagine Robert Milton doing that?

I'd say, at this time at least, the WestJet organization is tight, well pulled together.

Author: FoolishCA Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 179 of 181
Subject: Re: Westjet Date: 3/2/2006 4:18 PM
While all of your "culture" comments are true the stock does not seem to reflect it. My wife invested at a split adjusted $13/share 3 years ago and hasn't made a penny.

I agree, great company, excellent reputation, good financials but the market is so down on airlines becuase of all of the bankruptcies. She's more of opetmistic than I am and is holding on for a turn around. Here's hoping it comes someday soon.

FoolishCA

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement