Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Thoughtleader One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19222  
Subject: Westward Ho! Date: 10/14/1998 8:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
"Short Woman" and I are planning a 6 week trip by SUV out West next Spring. Any tips on "must see" places, lodging, restaurants and attractions? The journey begins in Ohio around mid-March (gotta be back to plant seeds in May!)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: hotfoot Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 166 of 19222
Subject: Re: Westward Ho! Date: 10/14/1998 9:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
<<<The journey begins in Ohio>>>

Have not travelled west except by air but am interested in what part of OH the journey begins.
H.

Author: JABoa Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 167 of 19222
Subject: Re: Westward Ho! Date: 10/14/1998 10:30 PM
Let me suggest you look at my posts on the "Best Travel Spots" board in the Fool Cafe folder. The threads begin with "LBYM Tour..." I've got one starting in Tucson, one in Albuquerque, one in Salt Lake City.

If you've never seen the Southwest before, you'll be almost overwhelmed by the severe beauty. If the 4wd really works, then southern Utah really is the place. But check on closed passes before May if you're planning on being adventurous.

Author: JABoa Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 168 of 19222
Subject: Re: Westward Ho! Date: 10/14/1998 10:50 PM
My posts start at approximately Message #11. If you follow the thread, read posts from utahtea.

About 13 years ago my father got put out to pasture. In retaliation he and my mother went on a similar monster sightseeing trip -- put on nearly 8000 miles in 6 weeks. They had a great time.

If there's any extra advice I can give, please e-mail me direct, but be advised my information is far out of date. For example, when I last visited the Grand Canyon it was 6,000,000 years old, and now it's 6,000,013 years old.

Author: oldred22 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 169 of 19222
Subject: Re: Westward Ho! Date: 10/15/1998 1:59 AM
Thoughtleader wrote:
Any tips on "must see" places, lodging, restaurants and attractions

I would highly recommend Vegas if only to drive the strip at night. The stark contrast of the desert to the almost times square lighting/shows/excitement just blows me away.

I have always felt you get a lot of bang for your buck in Vegas if you can stay away from the tables (but it is not cheap, just lots to do for a resonable price)
Same with food, at most places that I have eaten anyway.

The downtown area has just recently been done over to include an overhead screen that runs for about 4 blocks. Show every hour after dark till like midnight, and the ones I saw were mostly animated but 4 BLOCK long movies wow. Oh and great sound too, you can feel it but not go deaf.

Just mind blowing to see the shows on that Huge screen.

And also the grand canyon but do the train trip too.
Dont know about your interests, but railroads are a hobby of mine, so the steam train would be a must for me (and its not always steam, is a diesel at other time s so you would need to check ahead)

I am not sure if it is still there even but there used to be an old Tuscon (sp??) that was where they filmed I think Bonanza that was worth an afternoon, gunfights staged with guys falling off buildings etc.
And the town was like 3/4 size (not quite as tall as I would guess the real building were, doorways sorta short) but looked real authentic (built of mostly the same materials in sorta old fashion ways)

So many sights so little time wow.

How far west are you going (to the coast, etc)

Also what part i.e. Frisco, LA, Seattle or all of the above.

whether you head due west or go some north or some south will have a significant effect on the types of scenery you will see.

I am real partial to the southern route myself (but thats just cause its the one I have done)

Good luck

oldred22

Author: BobSch Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 170 of 19222
Subject: Re: Westward Ho! Date: 10/15/1998 10:09 AM
If you're going through Arizona, catch the train from Williams, AZ to the Grand Canyon, a great trip and you miss all the traffic around the Canyon itself.

Author: Thoughtleader One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 171 of 19222
Subject: Re: Westward Ho! Date: 10/15/1998 5:21 PM
Little hick town in southern OH between the #1 Buckeyes and the hapless Bengals.
--TL

Author: Thoughtleader One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 172 of 19222
Subject: Re: Westward Ho! Date: 10/15/1998 5:29 PM
A guy I work with said the same thing about Utah. I saw some of the photos - awesome country!

Author: Thoughtleader One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 173 of 19222
Subject: Re: Westward Ho! Date: 10/15/1998 5:39 PM
JABoa replied:
<>

Aint half bad out here on the pasture! Better than being a mushroom, if you know what I mean. Grand Canyon is definitely on the list. Thanks.

Author: Thoughtleader One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 174 of 19222
Subject: Re: Westward Ho! Date: 10/15/1998 5:55 PM
oldred22 replied:
<<I would highly recommend Vegas if only to drive the strip at night. The stark contrast of the desert to the almost times square
lighting/shows/excitement just blows me away.>>

Vegas is on the list. We flew out there in '90 (better put 1990 since this is the Retired Board) and had a great time.

<<I am real partial to the southern route myself (but thats just cause its the one I have done)>>

We will probably take the southern route next Spring and do the northern route mid-Summer 2000. Thanks.
--TL

Author: Thoughtleader One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 175 of 19222
Subject: Re: Westward Ho! Date: 10/15/1998 6:02 PM
Thanks, Bob. We will take your advice - sounds like fun. How far is Williams from Pheonix?

Author: jdarc One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176 of 19222
Subject: Re: Westward Ho! Date: 10/16/1998 7:48 AM
If you're in CO be sure and catch the Durango-Silverton train, awesome ride. Also, I agree, SW Utah is awesome and not far north of Grand Canyon, be sure and see the view from the north rim. New Mexico is a pleasant surprise with its starkly contrasting scenery. Enjoy!

Author: BobSch Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 177 of 19222
Subject: Re: Westward Ho! Date: 10/16/1998 10:28 AM
How far is Williams from Pheonix?

'Bout 80 miles straight north, if my failing memory serves. Your can even drive part of the old Route 66 which runs through the area of Williams (Not to mention Winona.)

Bob (We're going back in February)

Author: AnFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 178 of 19222
Subject: Re: Westward Ho! Date: 10/16/1998 11:18 AM
Thoughtleader,
We live 25 miles south of Tucson - moved here from Montana.
"Must sees" around here are; The Desert Museum in the hills west of Tucson (very near Old Tucson previously mentioned - which burned down a couple of years ago but has been rebuilt), Tubac (50 miles south of Tucson) and Tombstone ( hurry before it totally sinks into the mine tunnels built beneath it ; ) )

When you go on your Northwest trip, be sure to go through Glacier Park in Montana. It's Gorgeous! Some people drive right by it - they're nuts! : ) Then, ofcourse, Yellowstone Park - we lived in that park a couple of summers when my husband managed the trail rides. It has changed some since then but it still spectacular.

On your way to Tubac, look us up in Green Valley! : )
(under Lloyd Reishus in the phone book)

Ann

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement