Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: cigartycoon One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 56  
Subject: What ?!? Date: 1/9/2007 2:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
""John Madden sort of made this same point on the telecast. But did you see the ball that was snapped to Tony Romo on the botched field-goal hold? Looked very shiny, perhaps slippery. It was one of the "K' balls. Each game, 12 balls used only for special teams plays are kept on the sidelines, and when there's a punt or a kickoff or a placekick, one of those 12 balls is put into play. The ball came back to Romo on a good snap, and as he transferred the ball in his hands to put it down for the kick, it slipped from his grip. Wish I had a chance to ask him about it after the game. The way it slipped made the ball look like some of the waxy sheen was still on it from having just come out of the box.""

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cnnsi-thenflsnewpower&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

Hmmmmm.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Pituophis Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42 of 56
Subject: Re: What ?!? Date: 1/9/2007 2:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
yeah, I read about that on cowboysplus.com (free right now) - they wuz robbed <g>:

http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstory/stories/010807cpcowshort.31b6b36.html
IRVING – One of the reasons Tony Romo mishandled a snap on a potential 19-yard game-winning field goal try was the slickness of the football.

Normally, kicking balls have the wax rubbed off so holders and deep snappers can handle them easier.

"It looked like a new dime, a new penny. It really did," owner/general manager Jerry Jones said. "And [Romo] did not bobble the ball. He had never dropped a ball in practice. It's not an excuse there. It just slipped out. There is nobody that feels worse."

Cowboys' deep snapper L.P. Ladouceur complained to special teams coach Bruce DeHaven the ball used for the kick was the worst of the night and it appeared it was a new ball.

Romo was able to catch the snap, but he squeezed the ball too hard as he tried to plant it and it slipped out of his hands.

"I don't know, it happened pretty quick," Romo said. "Obviously the reason I dropped it was ... it was a slick ball, it doesn't matter you still have to catch it."

In late December, Philadelphia quarterback Jeff Garcia complained about the slickness of the balls this season to the Philadelphia Daily News .

"They're terrible," he told the paper. "The balls are terrible. Whatever they decided to do with them this year, it was a move in the wrong direction."

According to the Philadelphia Daily News, the NFL in August decided to switch all of the footballs with former commissioner Paul Tagliabue's signature on it with new ones.

The new balls have new commissioner Roger Goodell's signature on them.

But Doug Wisner, a marketing analyst for Wilson Sporting Goods, that manufactures the footballs, said a summer heat wave in Ohio affected the production of the Goodell signed balls, creating more slickness.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement