Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: jesever Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5687  
Subject: Re: My son, the picky eater (long) Date: 10/12/2000 10:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
What a good mom for at least trying!!!

I don't have any kids myself, so I only speak from observation and no actual experience--other than having been a kid (in the distant past.....).

First of all, it sounds like he is still getting better nutrition than most kids his age. So many of my friends have kids who refuse to eat anything but chicken nuggets and french fries, or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, or grilled cheese. The fact that he will at least eat a lettuce salad is, I think, fantastic!

I think if I had a kid like this, I would just try to make sure to at least have something on hand that he will eat. Maybe getting him involved in actually cooking food might make him more interested in eating it, too. I know when I was a kid I thought I didn't like certain things, but when I actually helped my mom prepare food, even if I thought I didn't like it, being involved in the prep work piqued my interest to try stuff and sometimes I even ended up liking it! (Now I like everything!).

Plus, we had a rule in our house that you had to at least try one bite of everything my mom cooked (except when she cooked liver for my dad--we were all exempt from the "one bite rule"--thank God!). If we at least ate a bite, we were welcome to eat whatever was on the table in whatever quantities. (IE, if we just wanted to eat mashed potatoes, after trying one bite of everything else, it was OK).

I think it's great you don't force him to eat anything. You're right, he's more likely to go the other way if you do. And if he eats some meat at school or a friend's house--well, I guess everyone, even a 10 year old, should be allowed to make some of his own decisions. If he eats some of that stuff now (not in your house, of course), he may eventually come to appreciate your vegetarian values and meals more because he has something to compare it to.

He's not dying of starvation, and he is still getting, like I said, probably better nutrition than most of his peers who eat nothing but junk food.

My brother was the pickiest eater in the whole world. We weren't raised veg, but we always had lots of veggies. One week he hated green beans, the next week it was peas, and it seemed like he hated whatever was on the table. But for about 2 years, his favorite snack was a ketchup sandwich. Go figure! But he grew up (fairly!) normal, and now he eats everything.

Good luck.

Janet
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement