UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 886575  
Subject: What about Sam's Club for prescriptions Date: 1/18/2013 7:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My husband will retire shortly. He is eligible for Medicare but I will have to take COBRA until the end of the year when I turn 65.
There is a Sam's Club not far from where we will be living.
They have a prescription drug plan that seems very inexpensive.
I checked the drug list and so far the 3 that we are taking between the two of us is on their list.
So I am wondering if it would be advisable to use their drug plan as it seems as though most drugs are $5.00 for a one month supply and even cheaper than that if you get 3 months worth.
Can anyone tell me why we would be better off taking a drug plan
from a Medicare Advantage Plan?
All this is so confusing.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870648 of 886575
Subject: Re: What about Sam's Club for prescriptions Date: 1/18/2013 10:36 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
All this is so confusing.

Indeed. Imagine if every senior also had to pick their main health insurance that way, not just their drug plan. Thank goodness for Medicare.

I'm sorry I can't help with your question...just turning 64 this year, me. Do people need to pick a Medicare supplemental and a separate drug plan, or are those usually offered as a single plan? Or is that only the case with MedicareAdvantage, which I believe covers the whole shebang (but is a sinkhole of $$ for the govt as it's for-profit and costs more than Medicare...it was an experiment in trying to run Medicare privately for less, which doesn't work and should've been abandoned, but insurance company lobbyists are powerful persuaders, and individual policyholders generally like MA too, as they generally pay less out-of-pcoket, but the rest of us pick up that tab...).

Didn't The Who say, "Hope I die before I get old!"?!

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870649 of 886575
Subject: Re: What about Sam's Club for prescriptions Date: 1/18/2013 11:10 AM
Didn't The Who say, "Hope I die before I get old!"

They sang it, then changed their minds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Generation

Desert (except for Moon) Dave

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870662 of 886575
Subject: Re: What about Sam's Club for prescriptions Date: 1/18/2013 4:38 PM
Recommendations: 2
First, note there is a discussion board specifically on the subject of LBYM Drugs--

http://boards.fool.com/walmart-humana-001-high-blood-pressur...

Second, Sam's Club is owned by Walmart, and as far as I know has the same plan as Walmart. I have used the Walmart prescriptions and find they are fine. A few limitations--

1. Only the drugs on the list are included. So you may still need insurance to cover other drugs. You do not need insurance to take advantage of the low rates at Walmart. They are available to the public.
2. Walmart has limited hours and sometimes pharmacist is not available (as for lunch) so department is closed. You will want coverage at 24-hr pharmacies (like Walgreens in my area) for some emergencies.

As to drug coverage under Medicare (Medicare Part D), I think part D coverage is better than Medicare Advantage Plans. Advantage has high deductibles and copays and limits where you can go to dr, hospital, etc. A major illness can be very costly.

There is a penalty for failure to sign up for Part D when you are eligible. You probably should sign up. But do the cost comparison for the drugs you now need. Keep in mind future medical needs can change those requirements. You want coverage for those too.

I have Humana Part D coverage. Most generics are free (after premium and annual deductible) when mail ordered from Right Source, but can also be filled at Walmart.

AARP also has low cost Part D coverage, but I found its copays less attractive, and low cost approved drug Tier 1 list more limited (making my drugs more costly).

I use Anthem for my Part B Medigap insurance. Splitting B and D between two companies has caused no troubles so far and I found Anthem Part D insurance more costly.

Check out annual total costs to you before you decide.

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870665 of 886575
Subject: Re: What about Sam's Club for prescriptions Date: 1/18/2013 4:50 PM
Thank you pauleckler!

Author: determinedmom Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870684 of 886575
Subject: Re: What about Sam's Club for prescriptions Date: 1/18/2013 11:06 PM
Recommendations: 1
Is your DH doing a Medicare Advantage plan for Medicare or a traditional medigap plan.

DH just turned 65 a few months ago and we decided for him not to do Medicare Advantage. We didn't see any great advantages to it, were concerned it might not be available at some point and if you switch to a medigap policy you can have issues with approval. Also, there can be unexpected out of pocket costs.

So we researched plans available in our area and looked at costs and how they rise and ended up with the AARP medigap plan which is really United Healthcare.

The prescription drug plan (part D) is totally separate from the medigap plan. In his case, his former employer (he is retired) pays for the Part D coverage which is also from United Healthcare. So far....no problems with either.

Anyway the big choice is not so much the prescription drug plan but whether to do a regular medigap supplemental policy or Medicare advantage. If you do some research on the internet you can find a lot of articles on pros and cons of each. In DH's case we went with a Plan F supplement in order to have certainty as to cost. We did look at some of the less expensive Plans but for his situation they saved very little money.

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870698 of 886575
Subject: Re: What about Sam's Club for prescriptions Date: 1/19/2013 8:59 AM
Is your DH doing a Medicare Advantage plan for Medicare or a traditional medigap plan.

My husband will be leaving his job Feb 1. He signed up for Medicare a few months ago when he turned 65. We will only be living in NY for another 3 months or so before moving out of state. The HR people will advise him on what type of plans that are available to him in NY.
I don't think he has that much of a choice. I will be on COBRA until I am 65 (8 months from now). I looked into coverage in MA and their policies are 4 and 5 star rated and seem not to be expensive at first glance. Apparently it would be more expensive if we added drug coverage.
I will look into Plan D of Medicare.
Lots of things to do so getting a big overwhelmed. Our apartment is for sale and relocating 250 miles will be kind of stressful because we have to find another place to live. Also dealing with a health issue of my own at this time.
Thanks for the info!!

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870968 of 886575
Subject: Re: What about Sam's Club for prescriptions Date: 1/27/2013 11:25 PM
I just want to add. If you do not sign up for Part D (rx) plan through Medicare, you will be penalized something like 1% additional premium for every month you are not signed; except in a situation where your former employer is paying for Medigap and Plan D.

Donna

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement