UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1498  
Subject: Re: Budget gotchas Date: 10/9/2003 12:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
What are others doing to deal with budget "gotchas"?

My mother used to have a saying when she was alive. "When it's gone, it's gone." Another words, you spend what you got, and when it's gone you don't spend anymore! I'm such a frugal tightwad that I'm actually spending less in retirement, than I "budgeted". I'm actually saving money. I make a game out of it. I mostly eat chicken legs that I buy on sale and rice. I buy the rice in 50 lb bags at Sam's club. I think I paid about $8.50 for my last bag. That comes out to 17 cents/lb! I bake the chicken in the oven and smother it in Louisana hot sauce. I can live on next to nothing.

You don't have to be as cheap as me, but my point is that you can go as low as you have to go. For instance, most of the people in the world live on less than $2.00/day. They eat the equivalent of tortillas and beans. Do you know how cheap a bag of dry beans are? Pretty durn cheap. In the middle east it's mashed chick peas and "nan" or flatbread. In India it's chapatis (flat bread) and "Dal" which is lentils. In china it's rice and some vegetables with a tiny bit of meat. It's amazing how little meat we really need. The average adult male needs about 55 grams or 2 oz., and the average female 45 grams or 1 1/2 oz. of protein. So, my point is, spend what you want, but when it's gone, it's gone. Then you have to go back to living on tortillas and beans till your next distribution! - Art
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Implications of the Ballad of Ted Plotz
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement