Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 652  
Subject: Re: Basic gift question Date: 8/26/2004 2:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
What are some recommendations of good, reliable, saltwater fishing gear?

Surf fishing is really fun if you correctly target the species that is catchable.

It really all depends on what kind of fish you want to target, and where you will be targetting them.

One way to get a good answer, ........
Atlantic Beach, NC - 12th Annual Surf Fishing Weekend Workshop is conducted by the NC Aquarium, Pine Knoll Shores, on October 11-13. Learn all the angles from experienced instructors including equipment, fish identification, casting, bait, etc. Surf fish at Cape Lookout to test skills. Cost per angler, $125. Pre-register, 252-247-4003.

And the cheap way: Call a few small mom'n'pop tackle shops which are in the area your boys will fish and ask them what there is to catch in that specific area and what works for that area.

Beginners will do best with spinning gear; conventional reels are more prone to frustrating backlash.

If you really get into it, then you will undoubtedly amass a collection of surf fishing gear.... I have light spinning rods for flipping small lures in tight for corbina and perch, and I have some custom 12' one piece rods for targetting just barred surf perch, and I even have a custom 7' spinner just for casting 3/4 oz leadheads for halibut and perch.

I have friends in Hawaii who surf fish for ulua with huge lamiglass rods, and they cast big 4/0 reels on them with nearly a pound of lead. Yet, they also carry little whipping sticks to flip 1/8 oz jigs for papio.

.... it allllll depends. Yeah, I'd call a couple mom n' pop shops in your area and ask for the 'hot tip' on fun tackle.

SANO

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Is the Market Overvalued?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement