Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (44) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 71408  
Subject: Re: My car was stolen last night -- any hope? Date: 10/13/2004 6:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
What are the chances that my car will turn up (typically in a stolen-car scenario)? How long should I wait?

Usually, they turn up within 3 days, on average. They tend to turn up more often than not. Few self respecting professional car thieves would mess with a 1994 Accord - The risks, generally, are the same and the rewards less than for an exotic or later model car. More likely than not, a kid/gang member probably took it for a joy ride and/or to knock off a quick score to buy a small batch of drugs by selling the radio and any other small tidbits he might find - Broken window, steering column, glove compartment, trunk lock and accident damage is what I usually see - usually, they're banged up pretty badly. Once in a while they're not in too bad of shape.

About the only compensation you will likely be eligible for will be a casualty loss deduction on your tax return. As long as you report the theft to the police, there's really no reason to report it to your insurer as, apparently, there is no coverage applicable and you merely add a stolen car loss, $0 paid, to your CLUE report.

Is there anything I should be doing insurance-wise right now in this situation?

No, reporting it to the police should be sufficient. Should the car be involved in an accident, the police report would adequately document that it was stolen at the time. I doubt the perpetrator would be foolish enough to risk prosecution for grand theft auto in an attempt to collect on a claim which would be thoroughly investigated before being paid to you with a draft or authorization in your name.

If you left any credit cards or identification in the car, be sure to cancel the cards and track your credit report for possible identity theft.

Good luck!

Bob
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (44) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement