Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RhondaL Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 196679  
Subject: What are you reading? Date: 3/19/2001 7:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm always in the market for good reading, either theology related or fictional. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: kaigun Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45937 of 196679
Subject: Re: What are you reading? Date: 3/19/2001 8:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Currently re-reading A Christian Manifesto by Francis Schaeffer. You may be able to find it in a used book store, but here is a link to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0891072330/qid=985052508/sr=1-1/ref=sc_b_2/102-2690526-8303310

While the personal religious views may not coincide exactly with your own, the abdication of religion in public life, and the results of that abdication make for interesting reading, as do the prescriptions for changing that. With the current debate about the funding of faith based charities with public money, a timely read, even though written almost 20 years ago.

Tom

Author: SpiritCorsair Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45941 of 196679
Subject: Re: What are you reading? Date: 3/19/2001 9:12 PM
Having recently renewed my eschatology/End Times jones, I've gotten into the Left Behind series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins. I'm also into Left Behind: The Kids, just to see the youthful take on this, and since I'm a kid at heart.

Only gotten to Tribulation Force (#2) so far, though. Need to pony up the money for Nicolae.

Author: biscuithead Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45946 of 196679
Subject: Re: What are you reading? Date: 3/19/2001 10:36 PM
"Where Your Treasure Is" by Eugene Peterson is excellent (so far. I'm halfway through), once you get through a boring first chapter. He shows how 11 Psalms can help God's people become unselfish individually, collectively and as an influence on society.

biscuithead

Author: Jennycats Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45949 of 196679
Subject: Re: What are you reading? Date: 3/19/2001 10:55 PM
Recommendations: 1
I'm reading "The Early Christians in their Own Words," which is just fantastic. A+++ reading.

On the recreational reading side: I just finished reading "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius," by Dave Eggers. It is a memoir. Eggers' parents both died within 5 months of eachother when he was 21, leaving him to raise his 8 year-old brother.

This is most decidedly NOT a Christian book. If the F-word bothers you, stay away. However, I found it wonderful, funny reading with a lot of depth. It's very Gen-Y in it's sensibility, and the man can seriously write. If you like Douglas Coupland ("Generation X") you will probably like Eggers.

I'm also reading "Their Words are Music: Lyricists of the Musical Stage," but I'm guessing that wouldn't interest many people other than me. I just finished the chapter on Cole Porter.

Author: markalb One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45951 of 196679
Subject: Re: What are you reading? Date: 3/19/2001 11:25 PM
Hi Rhonda,

Have you read any of the Left Behind series? I would suggest reading if you haven't. I'm starting book 5 now.

Mark

Author: milleniumfalcon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45953 of 196679
Subject: Re: What are you reading? Date: 3/20/2001 12:27 AM
I have been chewing on some serious reading. I read a few books at the same time, so here is a list. All of em deal with something different that I am trying to learn:

Winning at Work - Mike Murdock
A very practical book about work practices and especially attitudes.

Training In Christianity - Soren Kierkegaard
The final manifesto of the great Christian teacher and general founder of existentialism.

The Reasonableness of Christianity - John Locke
A generally unread masterpiece by the man who helped to develop our notions of epistemology and government.

Personally, I gave up on "Christian" fiction. I just never found it as well written as most. In addition so much of it is end times in nature. Now, my brother, he loves the LaHaye series.

I personally believe that end times books are built mostly speculation around tid-bits and hints from the Old & New Testaments.

Blah! My thoughts on eschatological premises run amazingly practical anymore: It's over when it's over.

I don't know the time, I just will be ready FOR the time.

Thats my lil' rant, but opinions are cheap, cuz we all have one, right?

Peace

milleniumfalcon
Third John Verse Two

Author: popsaliasdad Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45957 of 196679
Subject: Re: What are you reading? Date: 3/20/2001 1:26 AM
wow are we related? Same mix of reading materials I like!!

Some combination! I have been getting 95% of fiction at CBD or other Christian Bookstores because of the language in the other books. I just finished a book of fiction that was like that but finished it anyway but not one time would the removal of the swearing have harmed the material. I have read all the left behind series, and some others that I will email/post tomorrow because I can't remember the author etc at the moment. My 'Theology' is devoted at the moment to the book of Psalms, a couple of commentaries, the NKJV Bible (psalms & Isaiah), I just finished a report on Zion & Jerusalem.

regards
Pops

Author: popsaliasdad Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45958 of 196679
Subject: Re: What are you reading? Date: 3/20/2001 1:29 AM
Hi:
Which 11 does he recommend?

regards
Pops

Author: Jennycats Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45959 of 196679
Subject: Re: What are you reading? Date: 3/20/2001 1:47 AM
Personally, I gave up on "Christian" fiction. I just never found it as well written as most. In addition so much of it is end times in nature.

Have you ever read Flannery O'Connor, Walker Percy, or Shusaku Endo? All Christians, all award winners, all fine, fine writers. If you like literary fiction.

I would especially recommend "Silence" by Shusaku Endo. It's about two young missionaries who hear that their mentor has apostacized, so they travel to Japan to find him.

I also like Percy's "Lost in the Cosmos," though it's non-fiction (but fun non-fiction!). He basically ruminates on postmodernism, only without using that word, and without giving any clear-cut solutions. My favorite chapter is "Why Writers Drink." It actually answers that question more satisfyingly than anything else I have ever read!

I would also recommend Chaim Potok's novels. He is an Orthodox Jew, and his stories are very satisfying to read, as a Christian. He addresses a lot of issues that we all struggle with, trying to live God-focused lives in 20th (21st) century America.

Author: Frecs Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45967 of 196679
Subject: Re: What are you reading? Date: 3/20/2001 8:23 AM
Currently I have two books in progress. I've spoken of one of them numerous times (okay, yes it is taking a while!), "Christian Apologetics" by Norman Geisler. The I just started last week, "Art is a Way of Knowing" (its an art therapy book).

Author: glampig Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45970 of 196679
Subject: Re: What are you reading? Date: 3/20/2001 9:32 AM
Recommendations: 1
Last Friday I finished "Wrongly Dividing The Word Of Truth: A Critique Of Dispensationalism" by John Gerstner.

I'm half way done with "The Days Of Vengeance: An Exposition Of The Book Of Revelation" by David Chilton.

Next week I will begin "The Rise Of Christianity" by W.H.C. Frend.

I've been getting lots of road work which means I have plenty of reading time. Not much internet time, however.
Good fortune. Rick, the glampig

Author: lhaselden Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45980 of 196679
Subject: Re: What are you reading? Date: 3/20/2001 12:11 PM
Chaim Potok's novels are excellent.

Author: cmonkey Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45987 of 196679
Subject: Re: What are you reading? Date: 3/20/2001 3:01 PM
Ah, a thead I can get behind!

I just finished Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy, which was FANTASTIC. It's actually along the lines of C. S. Lewis in its use of religious imagery and stories, but I didn't know that going in, nor did it take away from the story for me. In fact, the whole series ends up hinging on original sin and whether or not it was a good thing for mankind in the long run. At least that's how I read it. Either way, I can't figure out why it's marketed as juvenile fiction; it's VERY brainy and complex. I loved it.

Snow Crash is also wonderful (Neal Stephenson, who's got a brain the size of a planet). He's got an interesting take on religion (I don't know how I keep ending up reading these books that revolve one way or another around religion; I'm certainly not looking for them...). It's a great SF book.

Author: RhondaL Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45999 of 196679
Subject: Re: What are you reading? Date: 3/20/2001 7:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestions folks!

Just to throw my own .02 in, I'm currently reading "The Tragedy of American Compassion" by Marvin Olasky. Some may recoginize his name as he's an editor for World Magazine. It really provides a good historical background as how faith based intiatives were quite effective and how history can be applied to today's society. I'm anxious to read the other books he's written as they're good ol' common sense.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement