UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Rael137 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63198  
Subject: What are your top 5 movies? Date: 9/13/2012 7:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
What are your top 5 (or so) movies?

Use whatever criteria you like (can watch it over & over, funny, escapist, fine filmaking, cinematography, gripping drama, etc.).

Please also explain why you like it and why you'd recommend it to others.

R (now I have to think up my own list)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Rael137 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61865 of 63198
Subject: Re: What are your top 5 movies? Date: 9/13/2012 8:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2

In no particular order:

1. Airplane! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080339/
Cliches, slapstick, terrible puns, one of the first real spoof movies. There's sufficient adult humor in there that I don't think the same movie could be made today (too many offended people).

2. The Princess Bride. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093779/
"Inconceivable!"

3. Month Python and the Holy Grail. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071853/
So familiar that you can drop into a scene or two and not need to watch in order. "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries." - I actually bought some elderberry jam to see what it smelled like. :)

4. Kind Hearts and Coronets. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041546/
Who knew murder could be so refined as well as funny? A B & W film from 1949 that is timeless.

5. Lawrence of Arabia. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056172/
Epic. Very epic.

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61866 of 63198
Subject: Re: What are your top 5 movies? Date: 9/13/2012 8:25 PM
These are my top 5 movies using the criteria of "I have seen them many times in the theater." (That does not make them my actual Top 5 movies, but it's easier this way.)

1) "The Graduate". Saw it 7 times. Liked it, and my roommate hadn't seen it, so I went again. Then a girl I liked hadn't seen it, so I went again. Then word was getting around, and everybody from the dorm went. Happened a few times. Then a bunch of us went and the theater was sold out, but they let us sit in the aisles. 90% of the way through the Fire Marshall came in and kicked us all out. We got a comp ticket for, you guessed it, "The Graduate".

2) "Hairspray". Saw it 7 times. Loved it the first time. Went back for the music. Went back again to look more closely at Travolta's makeup. Went back again with neighborhood friends. Kept going. Also bought the DVD. Also the soundtrack.

3) "Raiders of the Lost Ark". Saw it 5 times. Totally amazed the first timem right from the giant ball rolling down to crush them to Indy getting chopped to bits in the airplane propeller. The first big "effects" action movie that I remember.

4) "Jaws". Saw it 3 times. Thought Bruce was a laffer, but the rest of the movie was great. Amazed at the scene where the swimmer is pulled under, then thrashed about.

5) "Titanic". Saw it 3 times. Couldn't get enough of the Celine Dion song. Just kidding. Went the first time because it was the big movie of the season. Went back the second time to watch the CGI. Went the third time just to see the last half over again.

6) "2001 A Space Odyssey". Saw it many times but don't remember how many. Drugs. Many different varieties. Could have been a half dozen different showings, don't remember. Don't remember much of that whole year, actually.

Readers paying close attention may notice that my Top 5 includes 6 films. I was going to add more, but why push my luck?

Author: philkessel Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61868 of 63198
Subject: Re: What are your top 5 movies? Date: 9/13/2012 9:37 PM
Citizen Kane
Casablanca
Gone With The Wind
Ben Hur
Schindlers List (only decent movie from last 50 years)

Author: TMFCandyMountain Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61869 of 63198
Subject: Re: What are your top 5 movies? Date: 9/13/2012 9:49 PM
No particular order and if asked on a different day I may have an entirely different list.

1.) Notorious: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038787/

My favorite Hitchcock movie and it's just great all around. The acting, the tension in a number of different scenes, how a lot of the shots are framed. I could watch this over and over again.

2.) Pan's Labyrinth: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457430/

I found the story to be gripping and a lot of the settings were incredible. What a performance by Sergi Lopez. One of those times you really hate a character and it's quite memorable.

3.) Amelie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0211915/

I like it, my wife loves it and that we can enjoy it together so frequently is why it places so high on my list.

4.) Alien: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078748/

What is scary is what you don't see. Brilliant.

5.) The Shining: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081505/

I was way too young the first time I saw this on cable and it is forever seared into my brain. Nicholson. Wow.

Author: Rael137 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61870 of 63198
Subject: Re: What are your top 5 movies? Date: 9/13/2012 10:19 PM
My small mobile device can't handle long posts, so I'd like to add this one:

6. Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Ring
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120737/
Was a very good stand alone movie. I saw this one at least 5 times on the big screen including a wraparound screen (the Cinerama Dome) in Hollywood (which was the extended version - really cool). The adaption of the book was excellent and the special effects technology had finally caught up to the story. For me the aerial shots and the locations were amazing. And the music. And ...

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61871 of 63198
Subject: Re: What are your top 5 movies? Date: 9/13/2012 10:30 PM
Tough Question - can't exactly limit it to 5:

Frankenstein/Bride of Frankenstein/Young Frankenstein

The Wizard of Oz - something about that Rainbow ditty

Horsefeathers/Duck Soup - Marx Brothers

March of the Wooden Soldiers (Laurel & Hardy) - because going back to Thanksgivings of forever, I've probably seen it more times than any other film - it's a comfort film.

And many, many more.

Ken

Author: philkessel Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61872 of 63198
Subject: Re: What are your top 5 movies? Date: 9/13/2012 11:40 PM
Recommendations: 0
from AFI (American Film Institute) first 100 years of American Cinema (1896-1996)

(5) Lawrence of Arabia
(4) Gone With The Wind
(3) The Godfather
(2) Casablanca
(1) Citizen Kane

I doubt anything made in last 15 years would knock any of above movies out of the top five...

Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61873 of 63198
Subject: Re: What are your top 5 movies? Date: 9/13/2012 11:40 PM
Off the top of my head:

The Sound of Music
Titanic
The World According to Garp (loved it as a 16 yr old)
Apollo 13
Memphis Belle
Top Gun (loved it as an 18 yr old, now not so much)

Author: Rael137 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61874 of 63198
Subject: Re: What are your top 5 movies? Date: 9/14/2012 12:54 AM
The Sound of Music

Ooooh, yes that's a great movie. My family used to get together and watch that around Christmas each year.

Author: dsbrady Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61876 of 63198
Subject: Re: What are your top 5 movies? Date: 9/14/2012 1:21 PM
1) Casablanca -- just excellent writing all around (well, except for the one clunker of a line -- something like, "It seems fate has taken a turn") and awesome acting.

2) Who Framed Roger Rabbit? -- even getting past the whole gimmick of cartoons and reality mixing, it's a really good and funny movie.

3) Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan -- ignore that it's a Star Trek movie. It's very well-done (and relatively low budget) with great acting (especially when you realize the main hero and the villain never share any scenes together), very good dealing with "life issues", and probably the best death scene I've ever seen.

4) Back to the Future -- one of the better blockbusters, even if you have to ignore any temporal paradoxes.

5) Up -- my favorite Pixar movie and the one that can just about bring me to tears every time I see it.

(3-5 may change on any given day, but #1 and #2 are my two favorite movies)

dsbrady

Author: halco Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61877 of 63198
Subject: Re: What are your top 5 movies? Date: 9/14/2012 2:43 PM
Recommendations: 3
I saw all of the following in the 70's, while in my late teens and early 20's, and they all had a powerful, indelible impact on how I've regarded movies during my lifetime.

1) Taxi Driver - Completely changed my pov of movies, it showed me what great movies can really do. The almost documentary-like style of the filmmaking and DeNiro's remarkable performance just blew me away.

2) McCabe and Mrs. Miller - Altman's naturalistic style and rhythms were unlike anything I'd seen. This take on the classic western remains one of the most original American films ever made.

3) Manhattan - Woody Allen's masterpiece, imho. Forget Airplane, this is my goto "most-laughs-per-minute" film, even more amazing that it's also a very moving drama. Witty lines one after the other, gorgeous b&w cinematography, Diane Keaton playing against type as an abrasive character, and Allen showing some dramatic acting chops we hadn't seen before. One of the great American comedies.

4) Godfather I & II - Yeah, I'm including them as one film, sue me. (Hey, I always watch them together!) Has there been a crime film made since that wasn't influenced by these great films? 'nuff said!

5) On the Waterfront - Brando in the performance-that-changed-everything, ushering the era of realism into American film. Yeah, technically he'd already done that in "Streetcar", but this was really the movie that introduced Brando into popular culture.

Author: horacekgl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61878 of 63198
Subject: Re: What are your top 5 movies? Date: 9/14/2012 4:06 PM
Borne 1 (nothing like the books, but now re-reading the books is so disappointing as they can't match the movie) Thinking of Borne no longer means thinking of Robert Ludlum's great writing gift.
Borne 2 (on a roll, don't stop with one)
Borne 3 (haven't seen Borne 4 so I stop here)
Soldier -- Kurt Russel (perfect casting)
RED (all the ingredients, actors you love, action, lots of explosions, good story, plot twists, etc) its either this or From Paris With Love or about 10 scenes in Taken (skip the rest, just FF to the action)
Die Hard 4 (humor plus the best Die Hard villain Timothy Olyphant)
Hitman (Olyphant again -- which leads to the best TV drama -- Justified;)
Transporter 3 (because the heroine in Hitman leads me to the heroine here; both exude pure sexual attraction)

oops, slipped into stream of consciousness posting and ended up with too many anyway; but I've watched all of these at least 10 times -- Xmen First Class is coming up on the outside. Which leads me to think about the Watchmen (which is weird -- but graphically a beautiful movie)

Obviously I only watch movies for escapism, there's far to much drama in real life to extend it to 'my time'

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61879 of 63198
Subject: Re: What are your top 5 movies? Date: 9/14/2012 4:23 PM
"Die Hard 4 (humor plus the best Die Hard villain Timothy Olyphant)"

IMO, Alan Rickman in the first film. Also, a satisfying end to him.

Ken

Author: MudfarmerMike Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61880 of 63198
Subject: Re: What are your top 5 movies? Date: 9/14/2012 4:53 PM
Movies I watch at least once per year.

1. Jeramiah Johnson
2. Casablanca
3. Harvey
4. The Wild Bunch
5. The Big Lebowski

Author: Mark12547 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61881 of 63198
Subject: Re: What are your top 5 movies? Date: 9/15/2012 12:27 AM
These are five or so of my top 5 movies, though when I am in a different mood I might pick some other movies.

Around the World in 80 Days (1956) - Filled with comedy, with thrills and some creative insights and culture clashes, this travelogue around the world is anything but routine!

The Back to the Future trilogy (1985, 1989, 1990) - They have humor, incongruities, and it indeed puts the Fiction back into Science Fiction. Even the paradoxes are fun to watch!

Forbidden Planet (1956) - A nice gem that may have flown under many people's radars. Great for those who love nuts-and-bolts science fiction.

The Sound of Music (1965) - A wonderful collection of songs as Maria, who doesn't fit in the convent, becomes a governess to the children of a sea captain, but she starts having feelings for the sea captain that she shouldn't have, considering that the sea captain has chosen to marry another. But meanwhile the Third Reich's reach is getting closer and closer.

Total Recall (1990) - Many movies attempt to make a "it's just a dream" movie but few succeed. In "Total Recall", you aren't sure which parts are reality and which parts are just a dream--you are given clues both ways. But it is high-impact adventure, both on Earth and on Mars. (Another "it's just a dream" movie that did work was "The Wizard of Oz" (1939).)

Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61882 of 63198
Subject: Re: What are your top 5 movies? Date: 9/15/2012 2:23 AM
I also have to add Pixar's The Incredibles and Toy Story

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61884 of 63198
Subject: Re: What are your top 5 movies? Date: 9/16/2012 12:33 PM
The movies I watch the most often and don't seem to tire of:

Thunderheart
To Have and Have Not
Passion Fish
North by Northwest
Strictly Ballroom

I had to omit another 25 movies...Chinatown, Never Cry Wolf, Bagdad Cafe, The Big Sleep, Amelie, To Kill a Mockingbird, Lone Star, The Seventh Seal, Casablanca...

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61886 of 63198
Subject: Re: What are your top 5 movies? Date: 9/16/2012 1:03 PM
"What are your top 5 (or so) movies?"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Young Frankenstein

The Third Man

Zulu

The Searchers

A Man for All Seasons

And on and on and on - Pick any film with Spenser Tracy, Humphrey Bogart,
James Cagney, Alec Guinness, Buster Keaton, Richard Burton, Katherine Hepburn, Peter O'Toole or James Stewart and you will not go far wrong.

Author: SvenHoek Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61890 of 63198
Subject: Re: What are your top 5 movies? Date: 9/17/2012 7:02 PM

1). Pulp Fiction
2). The Usual Suspects
3). Fellowship of the Rings
4). The Empire Strikes Back
3). Silence of the Lambs

Author: WallyLock Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61891 of 63198
Subject: Re: What are your top 5 movies? Date: 9/17/2012 7:22 PM
Let's see. Going with the theme of I can watch them over and over again.

(All quotes are from memory and inexact.)

Inherit the Wind. "Do you ever think of things you do think about?"

Zulu. "You think I could stand this butcher's yard more the once?"

The Lion in Winter. "I could peal you like a pear and God himself would call it justice."

L.A. Confidential. "Hold up your badge so they know you're a policeman."

E.T. "Phone Home."

I saw E.T. with my father when I was ten or so. Mom had stayed home because it was a "space move." After it was over, we went home, told her she had to see this movie, and went back together to the theater so we could all see it together.

Wally.

Author: WyomingCowgirl Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61908 of 63198
Subject: Re: What are your top 5 movies? Date: 9/22/2012 11:47 PM
The Sting
Silverado
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
The Longest Yard
Gone with the Wind

Author: bigcaat Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62025 of 63198
Subject: Re: What are your top 5 movies? Date: 11/11/2012 12:47 PM
Nice choices, WYCowgrl.

I used to give this assignment when I taught film appreciation (only it was 3, not 5.) The assignment was to find the thread between them (which usually has to do with the characters, rather than plot or genre.

Mine are, (in no particular order)

1. The Red Violin
2. Witness
3. Dances with Wolves
4. The Fugitive
5. American Beauty

The thread between them, for me, is that all of them have to do with characters having to adapt to a different culture or different sub-culture. Witness, DWW and The Fugitive are pretty apparent, The Red Violin, I look at the violin as the character, and with American Beauty it's that the main character is narrating from the perspective of the alternate reality. I think a lot of it, for me, is the idea of being able to survive and adapt to new situations and new challenges life throws at you.

Caat

Author: StockGoddess Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62031 of 63198
Subject: Re: What are your top 5 movies? Date: 11/12/2012 1:17 PM
Only five?

1. Out Of Africa - best "epic"
2. V is for Vendetta - best comic adaptation
3. As Good As It Gets - best rom-com
4. Tampopo - best movie about food obsession
5. Unfaithful - best s*x scene
6. Psycho - Best B&W horror
7. What Lies Benieth - Best suspense horror
8. The Sixth Sense - best paranormal
9. Ferris Bueller's Day Off - best teen comedy
10. Gone With The Wind - Best historical epic
11. Kill Bil Vol 1 - Best Samuri movie
12. Parenthood - best movie about parenthood.

Author: cinesage One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62032 of 63198
Subject: Re: What are your top 5 movies? Date: 11/12/2012 4:09 PM
Recommendations: 4
I've never really attempted this before ... how could I possibly choose just 5? I mean, it's kind of a Sophie's Choice. But I thought if I could get it down to 10, then at least I'd have something to post. So, I started with my top 500 list and, after quite some time and much consideration, was able to pare it down to 9:

Adam's Rib, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The African Queen, All About Eve, All the King's Men, Anatomy of a Murder, The Apartment, Arsenic and Old Lace, and The Awful Truth

Tomorrow I'll start on movie titles that begin with B!

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62034 of 63198
Subject: Re: What are your top 5 movies? Date: 11/12/2012 5:11 PM
able to pare it down to 9:

Adam's Rib, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The African Queen, All About Eve, All the King's Men, Anatomy of a Murder, The Apartment, Arsenic and Old Lace, and The Awful Truth

Tomorrow I'll start on movie titles that begin with B!

Avatar would have given you an even ten.

--fleg

Author: cinesage One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62036 of 63198
Subject: Re: What are your top 5 movies? Date: 11/14/2012 3:14 PM
Avatar would have given you an even ten. I'll assume that you were being facetious ... Aliens maybe, but Avatar?

In any case, I had about the same luck paring my list of movie titles that begin with the letter B:

The Bad and the Beautiful, Bad Day at Black Rock, Ben-Hur, The Best Years of Our Lives, Born Yesterday, Braveheart, Breaking Away, Brief Encounter, and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Another list of nine! After some very difficult choices and "brutal" cuts, my remaining list has slightly under 100 titles on it. Movie titles that begin with the letter S is another group that's challenging to pare to a single digit:

Saboteur, Sergeant York, The Silence of the Lambs, Singin' in the Rain, The Sound of Music, Stalag 17, A Star is Born, Star Wars, Sunset Blvd., and Swing Time

Couldn't do it.

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62037 of 63198
Subject: Re: What are your top 5 movies? Date: 11/14/2012 4:31 PM
The Bad and the Beautiful, Bad Day at Black Rock, Ben-Hur, The Best Years of Our Lives, Born Yesterday, Braveheart, Breaking Away, Brief Encounter, and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Another list of nine!

How about Barney's Great Adventure? Yes, I'm being facetious again.

Do you have a list of films that start with numbers? For example, 8½, one of my all-time faves. Or would that go under "E" for "Eight"?

--fleg

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement