Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: MDGluon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 491  
Subject: Re: Reason and emotion Date: 4/28/2005 7:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
What blows me away is my almost total change of opinion on just about every subject since I've tried to learn 'everything'

The danger of education.
The danger of contemplation (with information).
The danger of listening to understand versus listening to defend/attack?

Maybe you "could" give someone a list of books and movies and CDs and see an absolute change.

Often yes, sometimes partial.

Maybe it isn't about the books and movies and CDs, maybe its about the person and their willingness to "experience" them.

Perhaps it is also about repetition of "facts" (which need not be true, perhaps they should be called input) over and over again combined with outside opinion and/or critical analysis of those "facts". It is also about how much you trust the sources of the information.

My view of human thought also includes the whole organism.

Perhaps better stated as the whole experience?

We can sometimes empathize just through education; often we cannot truly understand without experience. Till we lose a loved one, death seems remote; till we must make the same hard choice, the judgement of others actions seem easy; till we must raise our own, the way seems simple.

md (jus wandering though, jus addin me nickle)

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement