Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ShoeFun Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: what can I do? Date: 2/28/2000 3:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My wife and I both work, my income is around $80,000 and hers around $20,000. I wanted to figure out which method of filing would saves us more money on taxes, but before I had a chance, she had her taxes done and I just found out that by filing "married filing separate" I get practically nothing in return. My question is: is there anything I can do to refile a joint return for this year? I sure would appreciate your answers.
very grateful
Luis
Print the post Back To Top
Author: RooCat Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30244 of 121219
Subject: Re: what can I do? Date: 2/28/2000 3:48 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
My wife and I both work, my income is around $80,000 and hers around $20,000. I wanted to figure out which method of filing would saves us more money on taxes, but before I had a chance, she had her taxes done and I just found out that by filing "married filing separate" I get practically nothing in return. My question is: is there anything I can do to refile a joint return for this year? I sure would appreciate your answers.

Yes, you may refile as a joint return as long as you do so within 3 years the date separate returns were filed as long as the total tax shown on the joint return (if any is due) is paid at or before the filing of the joint return.

Author: ShoeFun Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30247 of 121219
Subject: Re: what can I do? Date: 2/28/2000 5:23 AM
Yes, you may refile as a joint return as long as you do so within 3 years the date separate returns were filed as long as the
total tax shown on the joint return (if any is due) is paid at or before the filing of the joint return.

thanks for your answer. What I failed to say is that I have not sent my tax forms yet. Do I still get to refile, even if I get more money back?

thanks again.

Author: RooCat Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30254 of 121219
Subject: Re: what can I do? Date: 2/28/2000 9:27 AM
What I failed to say is that I have not sent my tax forms yet. Do I still get to refile, even if I get more money back?

Yes.

Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30271 of 121219
Subject: Re: what can I do? Date: 2/28/2000 11:44 AM
<< What I failed to say is that I have not sent my tax forms yet. Do I still get to refile, even if I get more money back? >>

Let's back up. Here's what I think happened:

1. Your wife has already filed a return Married, Filing Separately.

2. You have not filed yet, and would like to file a joint return with your wife.

Assuming I'm right, you have to have your wife's agreement to file the joint return. If she's agreeable to this, check the 1040X instructions to see what to do.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer

Author: Fool4Golf One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30378 of 121219
Subject: Re: what can I do? Date: 2/28/2000 10:05 PM
Does she want to file jointly?

The reason for this question is that your message is full of "I", "me" and "my" on both of your parts.

You may need more than tax advice.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement