UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: wayjo One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6186  
Subject: What Companies are our favourites? Date: 1/29/2002 7:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I sat down on the weekend and wrote down a list of Australian companies that I would be prepared to put 10% of my net worth in (and in some cases already have).

I would be interested to see other people's list/ideas.

My list in alphabetical order with general thoughts is:

ANZ Bank
Run by perhaps the best of the bankers at present and the lowest cost provider. Strategy of fixing up the weak link in wealth management is being addressed. Only copany on my list that I still consider buying at current prices.

ARB Corporation
Run by the Brown Brothers who still own 20% of the company. May very well become the success story of the next decade with international expansion. Increasing market with "nudge" bars for smaller 4WD market. Perpetual currently buying into the company.

Commonwealth Bank
Such a strong franchise with customer base and while I think they paid too much for Colonial the funds management should become the jewel in the crown in years to come.

Hunter Hall International Ltd
Established and run by Peter Hall. Has an excellent temperament for investing and eye for undervalued assets. From a standing start in 1994 with $100,000 of seed money from his employer, Hancock & Gore, has grown the Value Trust to $250m and his management company floated last year now has a market value of over $70m - Peter's stake is worth $36m. He's only 38 and my prediction is he will be the next Ron Brieley and make BRW richest 200 within 10 years. Currently my equal 2nd largest holding and would love to buy some more if the price were right. This will be my Westfield Holdings. Biggest problem will be outgrowing the local market.

Milton Corporation
Boring listed investment company but have a portfolio with heavy emphasis on financial companies that could not be replicated for a number of years by another investment company/fund. Management are VERY ethical.

Perpetual Trustees
Love this company and management is excellent. John Lamble and Graham Bradley have turned this company into I think the best financial services company in Australia currently. Funds management, share registry, trustee services, superannuation - it's the complete shop.

I limited myself to 5 companies and they come from my small universe of stocks. That's why there is no resource companies or high-tech companies in there - I don't know them well enough.

Up & Comer:
Funtastic: could be a bumpy ride with inconsistent profits depending upon the latest toy craze but I like the sound of the management team.

Text Media; bought some shares in November at $1.20 but Fairfax rumour made the price jump up and haven't bought any since. Eric Beecher founded the company and has a significant stake as well as some of the other managers. Even the accountant owns nearly $400,000 of shares.

Both Funtastic and Text Media will make good takeover targets in years to come.

Food for thought....
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement