UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63113  
Subject: what did you cook before you knew how to cook? Date: 4/6/2011 11:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I already shared my "tuna barcarole" monstrosity and my sort of sweet & sour chicken livers w/bacon. Here's another of my crazy early recipes.

Refried pinto beans with ground cumin, coriander and of all things--turmeric. It was the dominant flavor (oy)! I put practically more jack cheese in it than beans, and served at first with brown rice and later with hand-made corn tortillas, a thin tomato sauce made of contadina plain tomato sauce and canned green chilies, and cole slaw with pineapple tidbits, raisins, and celery seed. And I thought it was an awesome dinner at the time. It certainly was filling in my hungry 20s.

One of the more "normal" meals I made in my early days was baked chicken quarters with sides of kasha varnishkas (buckwheat groats cooked with bowtie noodles, mushrooms and onions--I followed the recipe on the box of Wolff's buckwheat groats) and frozen winter squash--later replaced by fixing butternut squash from scratch. What can I say--I read I should eat more whole grains and less processed food--and I loved this, especially the chicken fat in the buckwheat groats. Another "normal" meal was pan-fried burgers with mashed potatoes and brussels sprouts. Except that I didn;t peel the potatoes so they were full of tasty/annoying goodness, and very gluey coz I cooked them in a pressure cooker.

I didn't grow up eating any of this stuff. I've just used cooking as an outlet for creativity--and (more than) a touch of craziness.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement