UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 740982  
Subject: What do women want? Date: 10/10/2012 9:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
>> Women, in other words, recognize the gravity of the problems this nation faces and are likely to pick a candidate based on these issues rather than on a party’s platform on abortion and contraception.

In fact, women, who are not a monolithic group any more than men are, don’t really rank reproductive issues at the top of their concerns
Topping women’s concerns are the same things that are men’s highest concerns: the economy and jobs. The smartest candidate will recognize this sooner rather than later.

In Virginia’s Senate race between former governors Tim Kaine and George Allen, Kaine, the Democrat, has tried to merge the issues. Abortion and birth control are fundamentally economic issues, he says. Few seem to recall that, in one of the early Republican primary debates, Romney responded to a question about contraception as follows: “It’s working just fine. Just leave it alone.”

This doesn’t sound like a call to arms against women.
Women do not require special handling because, for the most part, they do not think of themselves first or primarily as women. (This is big news for those men who failed to take note.)

Women think of themselves as breadwinners and job-seekers. They think of themselves as parents who want good schools and enough money to send their kids to college. They think of themselves as Americans who worry about national security and the nation’s image abroad.

These are the issues that matter to women, the vast majority of whom will cast their votes accordingly.
How about we ditch the gender nonsense and declare this the year of the American? <<
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/kathleen-parker-get-b...

arrete
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648060 of 740982
Subject: Re: What do women want? Date: 10/10/2012 11:25 AM
Recommendations: 4
What do women want?

If I attempted to answer that, I'd run out of gigabytes on my RAM before I could hit the submit button.

decath

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648066 of 740982
Subject: Re: What do women want? Date: 10/10/2012 11:38 AM
Recommendations: 2
What do women want?

If I attempted to answer that, I'd run out of gigabytes on my RAM before I could hit the submit button.

decath

If I tried to answer that and my wife caught on, I'd run out of oxygen before I could finish the post, but my insurance would pay for my daughter's education all the way through grad school.

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648075 of 740982
Subject: Re: What do women want? Date: 10/10/2012 11:55 AM
Recommendations: 0
Quoted: Few seem to recall that, in one of the early Republican primary debates, Romney responded to a question about contraception as follows: “It’s working just fine. Just leave it alone.”

Here's the excerpt from that debate. Romney handled the question adroitly, as usual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxPLEJNjnBQ

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648076 of 740982
Subject: Re: What do women want? Date: 10/10/2012 11:59 AM
Nothing can appease the pro-abortion activists, though.

>> Democrats and abortion rights activists have seized on Mitt Romney’s recent comment to the Des Moines Register that he would not pursue any new restrictions on abortion rights as president, an apparent change from what he has said earlier in the campaign and during the Republican presidential primaries. <<
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/10/romney-abortion...

arrete

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648079 of 740982
Subject: Re: What do women want? Date: 10/10/2012 12:02 PM
If one thinks of a fetus as not a person, then abortion is just ducky. If, however, one thinks of a fetus as a person, albeit still not fully formed, then abortion is essentially murder.

I think, then, that the question is when does life begin? Well, when does it? I don't know, but I do know that when a fetus emerges from a womb, either by force or by natural means, and that fetus resembles a person, that's probably when life begins.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648094 of 740982
Subject: Re: What do women want? Date: 10/10/2012 1:16 PM
Recommendations: 2
"I think, then, that the question is when does life begin? Well, when does it? I don't know, but I do know that when a fetus emerges from a womb, either by force or by natural means, and that fetus resembles a person, that's probably when life begins." - catherine

The two cells, sperm and egg, are "alive" before they even merge. If they respire and do cell stuff, metabolize, etc. they are alive. They were even "alive" while they were inside the man and woman's bodies even before intercourse. A little part of her and a little part of him.

They were alive way before they emerge from the woman's body. The question is when were they a separate, unique, individual? I'd argue that from the moment of conception it was a separate, unique, individual. It was predestined to be a person.

Time is an illusion by the way. The way we look at it is pretty much wrong. If quantum physics is correct everything is happening at once.

Abortion? A necessary evil. Something that is icky and distasteful and I really have a hard time figuring out how any doctor that has taken the Hippocratic oath can do it. As far as I'm concerned the only time abortion is morally "okay" is when the mother's life is in danger. Perhaps if the baby is really messed up physically and is going to die at birth than that might be okay too. But as a general rule I find abortion creepy and distasteful.

Perhaps abortion is just another way for us to experience duality and separation?

Art

Author: JediGALT Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648163 of 740982
Subject: Re: What do women want? Date: 10/10/2012 5:57 PM
Recommendations: 1
ME

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648165 of 740982
Subject: Re: What do women want? Date: 10/10/2012 6:01 PM
Recommendations: 1
Art wrote: Perhaps abortion is just another way for us to experience duality and separation?

Well, of course. I've got to bring the garbage cans in from the street now. Gotta experience duality and separation for the 10th time today.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement