No. of Recommendations: 1
What do you spend on gasoline per month these days?

I really don't know because I don't break down my spending that way. I do keep track of my total vehicle expenses. That includes maintenance, repairs, insurance, registration and gas. SGSpouse and I have two vehicles and typically spend about $7500 to $8000 per year on vehicle expenses. We travel a lot and a fair amount of that travel is with a big gas guzzling Nissan Titan pick-up with a camper shell. You can't really participate in the volunteer archaeology work we do without an off-road vehicle. The good news for us is that as volunteers for the US government, we do get to deduct 14 cents per mile and certain other expenses on our taxes.

This year I expect my vehicle expenses to decline fairly radically. Through August I've spent only $2600 on vehicles. A lot of that is because SGSpouse injured her knees and we haven't been able to work on nearly as many archaeology projects - so the Titan has sat in the garage. The other major contributor to the decrease is that we traded our Saturn VUE that got 21-27 mpg in for a Hyundai Accent that gets 32-42 mpg last December.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement