Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
What happens if several years ago contributions were made to a traditional IRA account but never deducted on the tax returns? It's been over 4 years so I guess it's too late to ammend them.

If it's too late to amend the return, then you lost the deduction (or your grandmother lost the deduction).

Now my mother (age 63) withdrew the funds and they appear to be fuly taxable as current income. This equals double taxation on the money ($12,000). Right?

I think that the principal when withdrawn is not taxable, even if it wasn't deducted (or deductible). Please read the IRS publication because I think you will find this very helpful. I'm sorry that I don't know the rules better, but I don't think you're out of luck.

Would the bank have a history going back maybe 10 or so years with deposits and interest?

I believe they do, but please keep in mind that they will charge you for this service.

Good luck and visit the IRS website for the publication (sorry I don't know the pub #s).

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.