No. of Recommendations: 0
What happens if someone who is not authorized to be on my property is injured?

This could be a burglar, trespasser, or neighborhood kid who climbs over a fence into a locked yard and falls or is otherwise accidentally injured.

I have heard anecdotes about this sort of thing getting claimed to insurance in the past.

Would I have liability?

I strongly suspect you would. Plus, competent civil defense attorney fees alone can get quite expensive, even if you're found not legally liable.

I have hit 3 minors in 2 auto accidents, none of which I could have avoided, as over a dozen witnesses attested to. I was not charged with a traffic ticket or other criminal charge in either incident, because of the dozen witnesses. However, a very prominent civil defense attorney advised me in the matters that:

1) A minor is VERY rarely, if ever (In fact, the attorney said "NEVER") held legally accountable for his/her acts in such instances. In the attorney's words, Jesus can be at fault, you're still at fault.

2) Attorney's advised me that a minor's parent(s)/guardian(s) can sue me every year until the minor reaches majority (which occurs at 18 years of age, here) and then the minor gets 2 more years, after his/her 18th birthday, here, to sue me, as that is the first time a minor reaches "legal capacity to sue."

You should also post the property with signs, but I strongly suspect they probably won't help a great deal in defense of a suit if a minor is injured.

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.