UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 91  
Subject: Re: half interest in a VR? Date: 7/11/2011 8:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
What I can't get a handle on is occupancy on places, how long the season is (do they still rent in September at the peak of the 'cane season?), and the like. Any advice on how to research an area's vacation rental market, or advice on screening realtors for one that's going to be straight with you?

Go to the listing websites and look at the calenders of the properties in the area you are interested in. Some are better for this than others, as some gray out days that have already gone by. HomeAway and VRBO require a considerable amount of tracking, VacationRentals411, if they service your area, allow you to look back and get a full year picture. Another way could be to talk to a management co, let them know you are interested in buying and will need a manager, (IIRC, it's a requirement, at least in certain parts of FL,) and ask them to show you the actual data for similar properties to that you are looking for. Ask them for a Realtor as well...at least it is a starting point. I'm not sure what you fear they won't be straight with you about, but then in my area Realtors have the saying "be the source of the source, but never the source." It's way to litigious up here.

It's not a small amount of time, and you will soon realize that some people simply don't update their calenders. Others take it off the market for part of the time, so look for days here and there between filled weeks to see if the place is actually active. Or it could be a longer term rental. Pretty soon you will narrow the calenders down to a few that you have confidence in.

IP
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement