UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: allocatorx Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 734373  
Subject: What I Dislike About Working Date: 5/11/2003 10:48 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 15
There are two things I dislike about working. They are:

-the stress of performance anxiety
-the fact that I spend my time working towards "other people's goals."

I really look forward to the day when the first item is eliminated permanently from my world. Fortunately, I have many interests outside of work, so idleness in retirement will not be a problem, and I have several personal goals just waiting in the wings to be addressed.

I congratulate those who have been able to RE, and continue to look forward to a mutually beneficial exchange of ideas with same.

allocatorx
Print the post Back To Top
Author: HoneyRyder Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106576 of 734373
Subject: Re: What I Dislike About Working Date: 5/11/2003 12:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 21

allocatorx -

I used to have performance anxiety at work and it drove me nuts at times.

It was eliminated after I built a decent sized nest egg. Once I knew I could survive without a job for quite some time, I really didn't worry about performance on the job anymore. Ironically, that only served to elevate my performance in the eyes of management - go figure!

I don't mind working toward other people's goals as long as they seem logical. Unfortunately, my experience in corporate America has shown that many goals are illogical.

The lack of logic stopped getting to me after I removed myself mentally and emotionally from the culture and began to see myself for what I really was: an independent contractor masquerading as an employee.

HR

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106610 of 734373
Subject: Re: What I Dislike About Working Date: 5/11/2003 2:55 PM
Recommendations: 1
There are two things I dislike about working. They are:

-the stress of performance anxiety

I don't remember a lot about performance anxiety because I did the best I could, and that was what I could do. So why worry?

But other people's goals - that could be very annoying. Sometimes I'd get stuck on projects that were just plain wrong. It was the government throwing money at a problem. Example: should the FBI and the DEA have radios that are compatible with each other. Duh! What a waste. On the otherhand, I did get to see an undercover operation - that was neat. But not worth tax dollars.

And by the way - thank you to all you taxpayers that partially funded my retirement.

arrete

Author: allocatorx Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106619 of 734373
Subject: Re: What I Dislike About Working Date: 5/11/2003 4:45 PM
Recommendations: 3
HoneyRyder-

I, too built a very sizeable nest egg, and tried hard to avoid the performance anxiety thing. When I got to TXU, the supervisor I worked for did monthly interrogations of his reports. He made some of the women cry (some were tougher and demanded apologies for his shoddy behavior). He would aggressively demand to know why you didn't know certain things you were supposed to know, and bullied people mercilessly who did not meet his ridiculously exacting standards. I did not handle this bullying well, but did tell him in my performance review that I felt he was very abusive, and needed to fix the problem.

After I parted ways with TXU (to our mutual relief and satisfaction) I spent 6 months being unemployed. I decided that if I ran into this kind of abuse again, I would retire permanently (medical insurance issues be dam**d). Fortunately, my new job has turned out to be a breadth of fresh air, relatively speaking.

While I am able, I am deferring 27% of my salary-the company matches the first 10 percent, and we vest in 3 years. Hopefully, I can save enough additional funds in the next five or six years to improve my options. The company also offers retiree medical after at least five years on the job and reaching age 55 (which lasts until Medicare kicks in). So, at age 56 my options look even better-I will certainly try to take ER if I am unhappy at that time.

Seeing yourself as an independent contractor is a good idea. Since employment (in Texas) is at will anyway, an independent contractor, is, in fact, what I am.

allocatorx

Author: HoneyRyder Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106628 of 734373
Subject: Re: What I Dislike About Working Date: 5/11/2003 6:30 PM
Recommendations: 2

Wow - your former boss sounds like a psychological terrorist - did anyone ever file a hostile workplace complaint against him? I mean, I know that HR serves at the pleasure of management........but sometimes all it takes is one person who's had enough....

Glad to hear that your new position is better and you're able to save such a healthy amount! :)

Something about your post reminds me of the book I was reading today which contained a short biography of Jimmy Buffett. Most people think of him as a musician, beach and boat bum, whatever - but I've always thought of him as the consummate businessperson.

During an interview with the author, he kept repeating one line: " you gotta have a fallback plan".

HR

Peace and Best Wishes - HR

Author: allocatorx Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106654 of 734373
Subject: Re: What I Dislike About Working Date: 5/11/2003 10:34 PM
Recommendations: 2
Indeed, he was a psychological terrorist. I went to HR immediately when I received a terrible review (it was a personal attack) but they were very non-supportive. I took three days to cool off, stayed in touch with hr, and was told I had to come back to work or I would be deemed insubordinate and fired.

When I finally agreed to attend my performance review, HR never showed up as they had agreed to, and it was just me and the boss. I was offered the opportunity to go on goals and objectives, which I unequivocally refused.

So, they gave me the option of finding another position within the organization within 60 days, while at the same time agreeing to add no new duties to my job. I did not find a position, so they gave me one month's severance and we parted (relatively amicably). The battle scars were terrible but they are in the process of healing.

allocatorx

Author: michaelangela Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106699 of 734373
Subject: Re: What I Dislike About Working Date: 5/12/2003 11:29 AM
Recommendations: 4

A major epiphany for me was when I stopped doing this. Oh, I still work, but I work toward MY GOALS. Every day.

Now, in order to reach my goal of FIRE, I must earn some money for a few more years. So I've chosen participation in the corporate world as my avenue for that. While there, in order to get the most return for my time invested, I've got to deliver performance. So I do. But it's only a means to an end.

And MY GOALS are not all self-oriented. I also want to help others. I want to create jobs. I want to coach people to attain their full potential. I want to make the work day both challenging & fun for the people who've got to keep doing it for many more years to come. I work toward all these things (MY GOALS) at the office each day.

Make no mistake about it: although I'm still a working stiff, I'm working toward MY GOALS. It's a totally different attitude.

Author: skybluewater Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106802 of 734373
Subject: Re: What I Dislike About Working Date: 5/12/2003 10:52 PM
Recommendations: 5
The number one thing I hate about work is the fact that a large portion of the day always seems to be wasted doing things other than actual work. Talking to co-workers, meetings and presentations, breaks (especially lunch)-can I please come in and work 6 hours straight, without interruption, and then go home?

The whole insanity of work is displayed in something that happened today at work. We're in training, and there were just a few people still working on the exercises. I'm one of those people who always needs to be doing something (Internet, reading the paper or a book, whatever), so after about 3 or 4 minutes sitting there, I decided to get on the Internet (hey, everybody does it, right?). A few minutes into my surfing, one of the trainers came up to me and tells me to close the browser window.

So, while getting paid, I CAN sit and do absolutely nothing, which apparently is just fine, or I can go online, to my company's Website, and get better aquainted with the company and it's products, which apparently is the wrong thing to do.

Erik

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106852 of 734373
Subject: Re: What I Dislike About Working Date: 5/13/2003 10:23 AM
Recommendations: 5
I was self-employed with a partner.That can be just as bad.We had a business which involved buying metalworking equipment by calling plants on the phone and asking if they had any machinery for sale.The first few years we were pretty much closing the same amount of deals.Then we hired people to make the cold calls along with us in order to close more deals.It was at this time that he thought it was beneath him to try very hard.He would spend his time talking to people we sell machinery to,talking to his wife about what they were having for dinner,etc.His deals slipped to about half of what i did.then he decided that he couldn't be tied to an office,he wanted to work from home or he was going to quit and get lawyers involved.I said have your own office.His production went down further.Then he wanted to have his own office set up the way he wanted or he was quitting and getting lawyers involved.I said go ahead open your own office.He started an office with one employee and ended up closing one third of the deals my office did.He also wanted expensive car leases,furniture,etc.He liked playing the part of "Big Businessman".Well one day when i was gone looking at machinery downstate,he sent his employee to my office to make cold calls so he could basically take the day off.I said why would you send him to my office when his computer is there and our computers weren't networked yet?He said ,"thats it,i quit"! Later it turns out he wants 25K if i keep the company (12.5K for each employee).I said you want to take 25K from me for keeping the company,but if you keep the company i get nothing.He said ,"i'm not going to keep any employees".Having been completely at the end of my rope,i said go ahead take the damn company,i'm not paying your extortion.He's got the company now and is driving it straight into the ground.Unfortunetly i still have monetary interest in the company (we have inventory,and we owe the bank some money).The moral of the story is think twice before getting a partner.

Author: golfwaymore Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 108951 of 734373
Subject: Re: What I Dislike About Working Date: 5/28/2003 11:48 PM
Recommendations: 1
2828 writes,

I was self-employed with a partner.That can be just as bad.We had a business which involved buying metalworking equipment by calling plants on the phone and asking if they had any machinery for sale.The first few years we were pretty much closing the same amount of deals.Then we hired people to make the cold calls along with us in order to close more deals.It was at this time that he thought it was beneath him to try very hard.He would spend his time talking to people we sell machinery to,talking to his wife about what they were having for dinner,etc.His deals slipped to about half of what i did.then he decided that he couldn't be tied to an office,he wanted to work from home or he was going to quit and get lawyers involved.I said have your own office.His production went down further.Then he wanted to have his own office set up the way he wanted or he was quitting and getting lawyers involved.I said go ahead open your own office.He started an office with one employee and ended up closing one third of the deals my office did.He also wanted expensive car leases,furniture,etc.He liked playing the part of "Big Businessman".Well one day when i was gone looking at machinery downstate,he sent his employee to my office to make cold calls so he could basically take the day off.I said why would you send him to my office when his computer is there and our computers weren't networked yet?He said ,"thats it,i quit"! Later it turns out he wants 25K if i keep the company (12.5K for each employee).I said you want to take 25K from me for keeping the company,but if you keep the company i get nothing.He said ,"i'm not going to keep any employees".Having been completely at the end of my rope,i said go ahead take the damn company,i'm not paying your extortion.He's got the company now and is driving it straight into the ground.Unfortunetly i still have monetary interest in the company (we have inventory,and we owe the bank some money).The moral of the story is think twice before getting a partner.

I've been meaning to comment on this for a while 2828.

I couldnt agree with you more, even the thickest skinned folks in the world frequently have problems making a partnership work.

My partner and I would have never lasted 9 years had the money not been so incredibly great, even though we were both thick skinned. Money has a way of increasing tolerance.

Bottom line, I see very little reason to ever take in a partner unless capital funding is needed. That was the case with my business startup, for sure. When the money piled up to where I could do without a partner, either by buying him out or selling out, I did so.

I frequently have people approach me wanting to partner on investments. Since raising capital is usually not an issue, I generally say, "um..I dont like partners".

Golfwaymore

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement