No. of Recommendations: 2
What I'd really like to do is set up a "discretionary fund" to use for expenses over and above my basic needs, and also a "replacement fund" to save for things like cars and major home repairs. I would contribute to those each year out of the 4%, but if I didn't spend it all it would carry over to the next year and be available to use then, or at a time when investments were down and I didn't want to draw the full 4%. I haven't figured out exactly how I would do that yet, but I will likely come up with some arrangement.

You are supposed to be in retirement. You are supposed to be enjoying the balance of your life. You have all this money sitting around in portfolios and buckets and you are taking from the left pocket and putting it in the right pocket--For what --It is all your money. If your roof leaks--Fix the damn thing--Write a check ,then go buy a new car and enjoy what time you have left. Because if you don't--because you are too cheap, your heirs will fix their roof with your money and buy a new car with your money and enjoy their life because they won't have any buckets.

b&w
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement