Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
According to unconfirmed information, Apple plans to unify its apps for iPhone, iPad, and Mac. This will allow the software iOS and Mac to grow into "a single whole". Users are likely to get a set of useful apps and tools that will work equally well on all Apple devices, not just mobile ones.
You know, the idea of such "unification" sounds pretty good, the right strategy in order to make Apple's products easy to use.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Apple has tried it before, as has Microsoft before Apple.

To say that the iOSification of Mac OS (or elements therein) and the Mac applications (e.g. iMovie) hasn't been something of a failure is to be charitable.

-awlabrador
No. of Recommendations: 5
Nothing Apple has done (and i have been using Apple as my primary workspace since the Lisa) enraged me more than an earlier “unification” push that shifted Final Cut Pro from being the dominant state of the art video editing platform into being a pathetic piece of consumerist crap.

Professional workstation software serves a very different market from amateur convenience oriented convivial phone and pad app=ology.

Specialization and generalization are opposed, yes? Apple can do both well and should.

david fb
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm in favor of Apple making the two systems (iOS and MacOS) work together (e.g., Messages on my phone also showing up on my Mac), but the user interfaces are sufficiently different between the two that unifying them makes me think both environments would suffer.

dsbrady
No. of Recommendations: 2
Allow me to play devils advocate ... in the Windows space UWP applications are now my preferred way of installing software. UWP apps are fast, easy to manage (as easy as on a smartphone), install & (as importantly) uninstall cleanly and the same app can be used on different formats of devices. For MS it's easy to move processor architectures etc. moving forward as they can be recompiled by the cloud. And for the developer, once they've made the jump across with legacy code, there are tools to manage what features & the UI for various screen formats. With UWP apps & some additional UI work it's possible to the same app scale from a (now mostly defunct) smartphone to 'pro' desktop computers (multi-core behemoths.) They are pretty fantastic & if you use the mobile versions of MS Office you might even be using apps that run off a lot of the UWP code base (even on iOS & Android).

And most of the griping from developers has been about having to move legacy coding & responding to the new security set-up, and so MS has even developed ways ("Centennial") to use legacy code APIs into the Windows Store while retaining a lot of the privileges. In short it's a win-win of sorts for both the user & the developer. Which is why MS has been dog-fooding it's own extensive code base across to UWP APIs as fast as is practical.

Now having said all that ... the road to get to the current state has been pretty bumpy in the Windows space as the technology has been maturing into the most recent implementations. And Google has been doing something similar to Android / ChromeOS. So this shouldn't be as big an issue for Apple as (if Apple is smart) they can learn from the previous dead issues MS especially has faced.

And frankly - if we take Apple at it's word - iOS is Apple's future expression of computing. And so iOS somehow needs to gain the capability of managing pro "stuff" - keyboards, mice, huge screens, lots of ports etc. And so it's more or less expected that this type of unification is an important early step along this journey. MS has managed it (finally), they just don't have the customers in some spaces (smartphones), Google is on the cusp of managing it (and perhaps morphing Android into a more secure use-everywhere OS with it's recent work on things like magenta) and so as shareholders we more or less need Apple to get started on this lest it fall behind (as longer term sustaining two major OSes doesn't seem that sustainable - Apple appear to be struggling with this now.)
Advertisement