Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 90
Ok, first things first. I'm mazske and I'm the Fool who requested this board. FIRE stands for Financial Independence/Retire Early. It's a goal of mine and I hope of yours to become financially independent. Once you reach FIRE, does that mean that you will retire? Not necessarily, but that option will always be there and odds are you will take it. Or, you may change to a more enjoyable, but less pay and hours type of job. That's the joy of being financially independent.

Why am I a Wannabee? First of all, this is not a negative thing. Normally, a wannabee is a gang wannabee, a cop wannabee or some other sort of wannabee and it's a negative type thing. A FIRE Wannabee is a good thing.

FIRE Wannabees are in short supply. I would recommend that you not walk around talking about being a FIRE Wannabee as other peoples eyes will begin to glaze over and they may start to think that you are a little off of your rocker.

Now, why should anyone strive to reach FIRE? Think about all of the things that you would like to do, but that you don't have time to do. Some suggestions are: Read more books, hike more trails, volunteer in your childs school, travel more, visit with friends more, run errands during the week while everyone else is working, play more, plant more flowers, play on the internet more, plant a garden, find new hobbys, be lazy, watch tv, work a PT job, go to the library etc. etc.

How do we reach FIRE? First, we have to save and invest. To really FIRE early, some have saved 40-50% of their incomes. Some of us with kids cannot do that. If you work a job that has a 401K or a 457 plan, invest in it. Open up a Roth IRA as well. Invest in a taxable account if you have the money to do so. Just save and invest as much as you can and you will reach FIRE one day.

Hopefully, as this board evolves into whatever it will become, myself and others will post on our progress towards FIRE.

I requested this board because I have hung out on the Retire Early Home Page for several years and I've watched that board evolve. Those who have FIRE'd, have much more time on their hands than those like me who are still working. I don't mind if this board stays slow, but I like to see good posts dealing with trying to FIRE. I ramble in my posts, but you'll see stuff from me about my family and how we live and love life, but at the same time how we are striving to reach FIRE. I may post some tips about living below your means.

I plan to invite Fools here from other boards, so let the party begin. I have written a bit about what I would like this board to become, but from here on it's up to anyone who decides to participate here.

Welcome, pull up a chair, grab a good book, put another log on the fire, take a sip from you drink of choice, and throw in a few comments from time to time. I'm here for the long haul or until I FIRE, whatever comes first.

mazske
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Great idea mazske! Like you, I'm a FIRE wannabee. I'm eager to see how this board develops/evolves.

-Steph
No. of Recommendations: 6
Woo hoo!

Based on the high volume of off-topic posts on that "other" board, I am rethinking whether I really want to FIRE. Hmmm.....

Heck yeah! If my biggest stress of the day is to put my $0.02 into a futile conversation where there is no hope of convincing anybody of anything, I think I can live with that. I'm anxious to have many, many on-topic discussions here.

Thanks mazske for the great idea!

-Agg97
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi! by definition, I'm a wannabee!

I've lurked on the Retire Early board and dreamt of the day that I'd be among the FIRE community. My DH and I are in our late 20's and already hate the idea of working... so, save, invest, save more and strive to be FI (with the option to) RE!

96hokies
I like the idea of working but would love to do only what I want to do because I is REEEtired! Thanks for the thoughts and I'll certainly be an advocate. Thrift and Good Investing, topics close to my heart(some say to close!).
I like the idea of working but would love to do only what I want to do because I is REEEtired! Thanks for the thoughts and I'll certainly be an advocate.

I second that, and I'm another FIRE wannabe.

-tdx
Hey tdx,

I assume you are a UVA student? I'm not that far away from you then. I don't get over your way very often, even being as close as I am, but next winter if my boys take a Saturday class there again as they did this past winter, we could meet up for a coffee if you like.

mazske
Hey mazske,

Yes I am a UVA student. Unfortunately, I've only got one year left. Where do you live? I'm originally from MD, but now my mother lives in Fredericksburg and my father lives in Tyson's Corner.

I'd love to meet up for some coffee- it'd be great to discuss in person all the things we talk about here on TMF. Let me know if you ever make it over.

-tdx
Good luck with the board.

Donna
my father lives in Tyson's Corner.

I live pretty near Tysons, too. Small world!

phantomdiver
Yes I am a UVA student. Unfortunately, I've only got one year left. Where do you live? I'm originally from MD, but now my mother lives in Fredericksburg and my father lives in Tyson's Corner.

I'm originally from Md. myself as well. I was born and raised north of Baltimore, near PA.

I'd love to meet up for some coffee- it'd be great to discuss in person all the things we talk about here on TMF. Let me know if you ever make it over.

I'll send you an e-mail if and when I get over your way. Odds are my boys will both take a class during the winter enrichment program in February. If so, I'm going to try to sign them up for the early one on Saturday mornings. We could meet up one of those days if that's good for you.

I'm originally from Md. myself as well. I was born and raised north of Baltimore, near PA.

I'm from Rockville, and actually this summer I'm living in Philadelphia doing an internship.

Let me know if you're going to drop by this winter. I think it'd be alot of fun to grab some coffee.

-tdx
<delurk>

mother lives in Fredericksburg and my father lives in Tyson's Corner

definitely a small world... I grew up in Fredericksburg and now live somewhat near Tyson's.

msmith

</delurk>
I grew up in Fredericksburg and now live somewhat near Tyson's.

You, too! What is this, a Tysons board?

phantomdiver
Well I don't know about you, phantomdiver, but I don't want to be in the Northern VA rat-race any longer than necessary! I guess that's why we're here after all...

msmith
definitely a small world... I grew up in Fredericksburg and now live somewhat near Tyson's.

Maybe we all already know and dislike each other, but just haven't realized it yet ;o)

-tdx
Well I don't know about you, phantomdiver, but I don't want to be in the Northern VA rat-race any longer than necessary!

Me, too. When I retire, we're moving to the Blue Ridge or thereabouts. Shenandoah County is our current target.

DH and I are tired of Fairfax County. After our last child graduates from high school in four years, there will be no more reason for us to stay here. We may just move at that point, even though I'd still have to commute to DC, because my FIRE is about ten years away at this point. :-(

phantomdiver
Maybe we all already know and dislike each other, but just haven't realized it yet ;o)

That's always a possibility, but I doubt it - going back for my 10 year hs reunion this weekend...
Me, too. When I retire, we're moving to the Blue Ridge or thereabouts. Shenandoah County is our current target.

DH and I are tired of Fairfax County. After our last child graduates from high school in four years, there will be no more reason for us to stay here. We may just move at that point, even though I'd still have to commute to DC, because my FIRE is about ten years away at this point. :-(

My Grandparents lived in Shenandoah while I was in college out that way(JMU). It is beautiful out there... and a completely different pace than Fairfax.

We actually moved about a year ago from Fairfax to the Cascades - it's still close to where we need to be, but fewer traffic nightmares. It's still not where I want to end up though. That's why FIRE is so important! We're trying to save like crazy now while we still have no kids.

msmith

This is exactly what my mother did. I was raised right around the beltway in MD, and my mother lived there until I graduated HS. After that, she packed up and moved down to Fredericksburg. After I graduate college, she's thinking about moving even farther south, maybe to FL.

-tdx
My Grandparents lived in Shenandoah while I was in college out that way(JMU). It is beautiful out there... and a completely different pace than Fairfax.

You said it! I've been spending a week out of each summer there, tutoring kids in ESL summer school. I love it!

phantomdiver
Mazske -

Well done starting out, and don't let the detractors get you down. All a board needs is a strong presence and it'll do fine.

I'm here for the long haul or until I FIRE, whatever comes first.

You've gotta keep coming after the FIRE so you can gloat!

dan
Yes, I'm just a wannabe, too!! Thanks for making a place for all of us!
Good luck Mazkse! I'll hanga round and see if I can contribute from time to time. I like the tone you have set here.

Regards,
FMO
96hokies writes:

I've lurked on the Retire Early board and dreamt of the day that I'd be among the FIRE community. My DH and I are in our late 20's and already hate the idea of working... so, save, invest, save more and strive to be FI (with the option to) RE!

Greetings to a fellow hokie! One nice thing about being a hokie . . . instant realization of the significance of the moniker. I'm going to be driving to Tech in a couple of weeks to drop off my youngest daughter (a legacy) who starts her freshman year.

At orientation in July one of the speakers cracked me up. She said that as soon as you become a hokie two very strange things happen; 1) You begin to think of a turkey as a majestic and powerful bird, and 2) you start wearing the colors orange and maroon . . . together . . . and really believing that it looks good.

Regards,
FMO
Civil Engineer '76
I don't want to be in the Northern VA rat-race any longer than necessary! I guess that's why we're here after all...

That's the reason I'm here. The sooner I can get out the better.
mssmith12 writes:

Gettting smaller all the time. I live in King George County about 25 miles east of F-Burg. I work at the Naval lab at Dahlgren.

Regards,
FMO
This thread with all the "NOVA" posts is quite interesting... it is a small world! My folks are in Springfield and have been saying "we're gonna move out of this congestion" since I graduated high school in 92.

Anyway, we're now in Roanoke and have the luxury of attending all VT home games without burning vacation or spending tons of $$ on hotels. (Lived in Horseheads, NY last 2 seasons and made all but 1 home game UGH!) Moving to Roanoke was definatley a quality of life decision.

DH and I are also engineers, he's ME, I'm IE... if you even consider that true engineering.

I hear Tech is getting more and more competitive so congrats to your youngest... and if you ever need a semi-local connection for her feel free to shoot me a note.

96hokies
whose wardrobe has plenty of orange/maroon combinations!

P.S. Sam's Club in Roanoke generally has an entire table of cheap Hokie gear.

96hokies writes:

Anyway, we're now in Roanoke and have the luxury of attending all VT home games without burning vacation or spending tons of $$ on hotels.

I am fortunate. I have relatives in SW VA. Whenever I come down I stay at my Aunt's place in Dublin. (about 25 minutes away). She's a fabulous cook and she and her husband enjoy the company. It's always a great time.

Regards,
FMO
96hokies said in part,

Anyway, we're now in Roanoke

Another Fool in the neighborhood. I occasionally get down to Roanoke, so if I ever know in advance that I'm going there, I'll send you an e-mail. If that's ok, we can meet up for a coffee and a chat.

I lived for almost a year in Smyth County, just outside a dot on the map called Sugar Grove. I bought my first house, a 3 br, 1 bath, there for 30K in '93.

I contemplated moving to Roanoke quite a bit as I really like the City, but I eventually moved to Staunton.
Coffee it is!

96hokies

Staunton, those of you not from VA would probably try and pronounce the "U" as you hear the words in your head... and you'd be wrong. Pronounced as "STANton." One of the many odd things I ponder while driving the 81 corridor.
I've visited Tysons Corner and I want to FIRE, can I join?

Actually, I may end up in that neck of the woods. I am taking the test for the State department early next year, if I pass, I will be in training in DC.

fredinseoul
very much looking to FIRE
<<<<<Ok, first things first. I'm mazske and I'm the Fool who requested this board.>>>>>>>>

Hey Buddy,

Right on. RIght on. right on. Ok so we now have a place where NOR VA people, probably half X military, to talk about FIRE, sweet. I am SE VA can I still hang?

take care,
Nick
Ok so we now have a place where NOR VA people, probably half X military, to talk about FIRE, sweet. I am SE VA can I still hang?

Hey Nick,

Welcome and I hope both you and your nuke counterpart, Redneck, stick around for awhile. I'm still pro Navy and I love to have some Navy folks here.

I plan to discuss military options in future threads and the two of you, plus fredinseol and others will have some personal experience to add to the discusion.

<<<<<I'm still pro Navy and I love to have some Navy folks here.
>>>>

alright dad you would be proud. I said earlier on the REHP that I was thinking about the STA-21 program. For you non-miltary types that is an enlisted to officer program. My major hang up is my Boss. He is an idiot. he is the senior officer in our department(reactor) and he is a heart attack man. You know the type, the guys that flail around like a fish out of water after every there is a little bump in the road. This made Iraqi Freedom really intersting to say the least. Anyway I can't imagine working with people cut from the same cloth.....not all officers are bad but they let some slip through the cracks.

disheartened
Nick
No. of Recommendations: 3
not all officers are bad but they let some slip through the cracks.

disheartened
Nick

Nick,

As a 12 year Marine, I can honestly say I learned something from every single bad boss I've ever had.

The good ones you learn to emulate.

The bad ones teach you what not to emulate.

Learn from this boss and carry those lessons forward into your life.

Semper Fi,

JB
Welcome back Nick!

If they do with officers on skimmers the same way that they did on my boat sooner or later he'll get moved to a different division. You know all that cross training crap to prepare him to be ChEng and so on.
There will always be a$$holes, whether it is in the wardroom, the "goat locker", or beside you in the bilges...and you will always have to work with "people cut from the same cloth", civilian or military, no matter what.
Be Patient
You'll change jobs or they will.

If you can stand it, the Navy is a great opportunity to become FI and RE.
Lifetime healthcare and a substantial pension after 20 something years. I'm sure it has changed since I got out in 1980 after 8.
If I had stayed in I could have retired in 1992 and everyone could have visited me in my rocking chair on the porch of "the Home".

Officers get higher wages therefor higher pensions. It all depends on who you want to hang out with.

Later,
former EM1(SS) not retired.
No. of Recommendations: 4
alright dad you would be proud. I said earlier on the REHP that I was thinking about the STA-21 program. For you non-miltary types that is an enlisted to officer program. My major hang up is my Boss. He is an idiot. he is the senior officer in our department(reactor) and he is a heart attack man.

Allright Nick. I may be older than you, but I think it's more like a big brother age difference, not father and son. <grin>

I vote to go for an Officer program. When I reported to my first duty station in Panama after my electronic schools, the Master Chief pushed me to put in for the BOOST program. That was/maybe still is an enlisted to Officer program for young folks. I turned him down on applying.

When I received my Bachelor degree at my next command, my CO called me into her office and encouraged me to apply for OCS. I didn't.

When I reported to my next command, the CO eventually called me into his office after hearing about me and tryed to get me to apply for OCS. I didn't.

I was and still am hard headed. Initially, I didn't have enough gump to really want to be an Officer. Then, it was more like I'm getting out of the Navy no matter what.

So, I became a civilian, but since I didn't want to throw away 9 1/2 years of active duty I kept my Navy ties by going into the Reserves.

Still, I thought about becoming an Officer. I was told that to apply for OCS with the Reserves, I almost had to have a Masters degree. I was told by an Officer Recruiter for active duty that he thought I had a great chance of getting accepted for OCS for active duty.

I tested on 9/12/01. Yep, the day after 9/11. I think that would have helped my chances as the place where I tested was closed, but since I had driven several hours to get there, they gave me the test and I scored well on it.

I thought long and hard about applying for OCS after hearing my score. The recruiter pretty much, but not completely, guaranteed that I could get accepted.

My love for the area I'm in plus the love for my kids caused me to not finish the application process. There are pros and cons to everything, and for me personally I felt and still believe that it was best for me to become a civilian. This is almost 100% due to the fact that I have kids.

Now, on the other hand, both of my sons know about the Navy, the Naval Academy, NROTC and OCS. I'll let you know in the years to come what happens with this.

Bottom line, Nick. If you are eligible to apply for an Officer program, you would be foolish not to. You can still do your time, even if it's 6 more years, and get out. But, why do like me and get out as an E-6, when you could get out as an O-3? Plus, I will retire from the Reserves as an E-7, but if I could have made O-3 on active, gotten out and let's say made O-5 in the Reserves, I would have a much nice pension.

Nick, stay Navy and go Officer. Bad bosses are everywhere. Don't let them defeat you, but go for the gold and become a good boss yourself. In the meantime, keep planning to FIRE and leave the workforce at a fairly young age.
Staunton, those of you not from VA would probably try and pronounce the "U" as you hear the words in your head... and you'd be wrong. Pronounced as "STANton." One of the many odd things I ponder while driving the 81 corridor.

Hush. It's that way so that Yankees will pronounce it wrong, thus making them stick out like a sore thumb so they can be ostracized. If you tell them, it won't work no more.

:)

El
No. of Recommendations: 2
Hush. It's that way so that Yankees will pronounce it wrong, thus making them stick out like a sore thumb so they can be ostracized. If you tell them, it won't work no more.

A-ha!

(Quickly scribbling "Stanton, not Stahnton" in my Yankee Spy notebook)

;)

NG
Well I think this sounds interesting. See my next posting..

joycets
Advertisement