UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: daHotTOMATO Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1656  
Subject: What is a Sustainable Business? Date: 4/30/2002 4:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Natural Capitalism thread (short but has a good link)

http://boards.fool.co.uk/Message.asp?mid=7111790

The World We're In (good thread among much repetitive noise about Israel/Palestine)

http://boards.fool.co.uk/Message.asp?mid=7118382

But if any of you can get copies of NewScientist there's a series of articles running for this week and the next three entitled "Time to Rethink Everything, The Great Globalisation Debate" with an interesting piece from George Soros titled The Trouble with Trade from his recent book George Soros on Globalisation.

Sustainable Business is a buzz word, a sound bite and essentially meaningless IMO.

I mean to say what is a 'Sustainable Business'?
Is it one that can stay in business, thus sustaining its existence?
Is it one that cares about the environment and environemental issues?
Is it one that uses as little energy as possible in its day to day running?
Or is it a business that takes its roles and responsibilities within the community within which it operates as equally important as the bottom line; making money?

For me this latter option is how I currently would define sustainable business. The roles and responsibilites towards its community are social, economic and environmental. The community within it operates might be the local town or indeed global.

But for sustainable business to remain sustainable they must also stay in business, but rather than a company's single mission being to deliver shareholder value, the primary goal should be significantly less selfish and ignorant of others.

Regards
the
hot|Tomato
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement