Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JamesBrown Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 442405  
Subject: What is Civic Responsibility? Date: 1/17/2013 10:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 36
Ed Brayton answers the question, "What is Civic Responsibility?"

I rather like his answer:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/2013/01/17/what-is-ci...

The first thing that comes to mind is the concept of reciprocity: We have a responsibility to treat others as we would wish to be treated. In a civic contest, what this means to me is that we have a responsibility to demand and work for fairness and justice, not only for ourselves but for others as well....

The second thing that comes to mind is that we have a responsibility to try to make the world a better place within our sphere of influence. Few of us can affect big changes in society, but we can have an impact on people’s lives on a smaller scale....

As an atheist, I believe that the universe is utterly indifferent to the suffering we endure, and sometimes inflict on others. But that doesn’t mean we have to be indifferent to it. And I believe we all have a responsibility to make the societies we live in better in whatever small ways we can. Millions of people doing little things to help those around us adds up to a whole lot of good and a healthier and happier human race.

I particularly enjoyed his Arthur Ashe quote, one I've not heard before:

[S]ervice to others is the rent we pay for the space we take up on the planet.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 416429 of 442405
Subject: Re: What is Civic Responsibility? Date: 1/17/2013 12:01 PM
Recommendations: 0
Honda requires that you change the oil every 3000 miles, rotate the tires every ten thousand, and wash the car at least once a week

Author: czarinav Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 416439 of 442405
Subject: Re: What is Civic Responsibility? Date: 1/17/2013 2:59 PM
That doesn't apply to Accord's right?

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 416440 of 442405
Subject: Re: What is Civic Responsibility? Date: 1/17/2013 3:59 PM
That doesn't apply to Accord's right?

I don't know. Never had enough money to afford one.

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 416455 of 442405
Subject: Re: What is Civic Responsibility? Date: 1/18/2013 9:53 AM
What is Civic Responsibility?
============================

Killing bad guys who threaten you or your family' life.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement