Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: rochish One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121592  
Subject: What is the actual tax on an AGI of 108,008? Date: 4/11/2010 12:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi everyone,

It appears that different tax software are giving different numbers for the tax (line 44 of form 1040) for the same income. For instance, our AGI is 108,008 and we file married jointly with one additional dependent. Without accounting for any credits and with 3 exemptions (i.e., standard deduction of $11,400 and exemptions amount of 10,950), I obtain the following results for the tax.

TaxAct: $13,761

Dinkytown.com calculator: $13,777 (http://www.dinkytown.net/java/Tax1040.html)

Actual tax tables from publication 1040: $13,794

Because taxAct gives the lowest amount for tax, is it okay to use their number instead of the others? Would IRS be okay with that?

It almost seems too good to be true, which makes me think I've made an error somewhere. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any input you may have.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110077 of 121592
Subject: Re: What is the actual tax on an AGI of 108,008? Date: 4/11/2010 12:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
It appears that different tax software are giving different numbers for the tax (line 44 of form 1040) for the same income. For instance, our AGI is 108,008 and we file married jointly with one additional dependent. Without accounting for any credits and with 3 exemptions (i.e., standard deduction of $11,400 and exemptions amount of 10,950), I obtain the following results for the tax.

TaxAct: $13,761

Dinkytown.com calculator: $13,777 (http://www.dinkytown.net/java/Tax1040.html)

Actual tax tables from publication 1040: $13,794

Because taxAct gives the lowest amount for tax, is it okay to use their number instead of the others? Would IRS be okay with that?

It almost seems too good to be true, which makes me think I've made an error somewhere. What am I missing?

I'm not sure what you're missing, but I get $13,794 using Intuit's ProSeries. The $33 difference between the high and low tax amounts "might" be within the IRS tolerance level where they won't come looking for it, but no one outside the IRS knows for sure what the collection threshold is.

Another possibility -- do you have any qualified dividends or long-term capital gains reported? They are taxed at a lower rate than the rest of your income. Using the IRS tax tables won't give you the correct answer in this case, you have to use the capital gains tax worksheet.

Ira

Author: rochish One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110131 of 121592
Subject: Re: What is the actual tax on an AGI of 108,008? Date: 4/13/2010 2:08 AM
Recommendations: 0
Thanks, much, irasmilo. Indeed, its the qualified dividends. I appreciate your input. Best,

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement