UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: x4a54 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76384  
Subject: Re: 401k rollover help Date: 4/4/1999 12:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
What is the best way to rollover a 401k from a previous employer so that I may invest in both
mutual funds and individual stocks?

the *best* way is to pick a good broker (with one of your criteria being the selection of funds);
roll it All into that broker and Invest Away!

into a money market fund, ie. Vanguard Prime Portfolio. Then,transfer within Vanguard into other funds I choose; then, write a check from PP to open an IRA account at, say, Ameritrade;

you seem to have decided which funds and which broker... i don't know for sure, but i think that since Vanguard is a Fund company -- you are right that if you want to give them some of your money you'll need two accounts (but it may be that Ameritrade deals in Vanguard funds)

Or, do I need to allocate a percentage of the rollover to Vanguard and a percentage to
Ameritrade (to equal 100%) right off the bat?

*if* you've decided on V. and A.; and A. doesn't trade in V., they this would be the *simplest* method... but
you'd have to decide on the pctg. now.

I rollover into a money market fund that is an IRA, am I free to allocate where I please?

Depends. MMF is a bit vague... if you open it at a Fund Co., it will be something of a hassle to move money to broker for stock trades (i *think*, something you could do only once). If you open 'it' with a broker, you will be able to trade whatever funds *that* broker makes available.

hope that helps. (i'm a bit vague cuz *i* would never buy a fund, and i rarely say 'never'(

jpt
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Russia Collapsing Again?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement