UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (42) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: karmaoption One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 72329  
Subject: Re: What is to be gained........? Date: 4/26/2007 3:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 63

What is to be gained from a few months in life. I can't comment on myself, but I will comment on my brother. He died from Aids back in 1989 when they had very few treatment options, actually one as I remember, AZT. My brother was as full of life as anybody I knew, and it took about 2 years from diagnosis to death. Now what my brother actually died from was Kaposi's Sarcoma in the lungs, so the proximate cause of his death was lung cancer. Two months before Tom died, he had radiation to combat the kaposi's throughout his body. The radiation severely burned his legs, 2nd degree burns. What did he do 3 days later, he went Parasailing even though his legs were useless. He said he would be landing on the water, or sand at worst so he did not care, he wanted to live while he had time. My brother died going to Oregon to visit friends from College that he wanted to make sure he saw for one last time. Oregon has alot of very mountainous area, and he went to Eugene. Most of the areas he went to was above 5,000 feet. He had no lungs basically and was on pure oxygen, so he knew it was going to kill him when he went, but he wanted to spend the extra time to see those that mattered. Once again extra time. He died in Eugene on a respirator, because the altitude had put him into respitory failure. He waited until we made it to Eugene, so we could be at his bedside when he died. He made the decision to turn off the respirator himself, and it was the most courageous thing I have ever seen anyone do.
Please don't tell me that 4-5 months extra is not important if you are in terrible pain unless you are that person. I know for a fact that one person regardless of how terrible things were, wanted to use the time he had to live to the fullest, do things he never did, and see those he loved. He would have loved another 4-5 months, and would have made the most of it, regardless of how he felt. Sorry but it touches a hot button for me!!

John
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (42) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

My Big Fat Greek Splat
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement