UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tmeri Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1492  
Subject: What is Your Favorite Free Software? Date: 5/29/2004 10:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I'm just wondering if all of you who are inclined would share the name of the best free software you use. My favorite, at the moment, is Treepad. I almost couldn't function without it. Everyone I've introduced it to has pretty much started using it like I do, which is every day.

I'd love to know what some of the free tools out there are that you really like.

- tmeri
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ImAGolfer Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 617 of 1492
Subject: Re: What is Your Favorite Free Software? Date: 5/30/2004 10:55 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'd love to know what some of the free tools out there are that you really like.

- tmeri

Golf Handicapper ver. 4.2 for DOS. Keeps the handicap similar to the USGA's GHIN website.

ImAGolfer

Author: chooey98 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 618 of 1492
Subject: Re: What is Your Favorite Free Software? Date: 5/30/2004 11:15 AM
I downloaded Spybot Search & Destroy the other day. It finds and erases "spyware" that you pick up as you surf the web.

Author: Blackduff Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 624 of 1492
Subject: Re: What is Your Favorite Free Software? Date: 5/31/2004 12:40 AM
Ad-aware is a great program and there's a free version.

This program cleared out the aware programs which had taken control on my machine. I was looking forward to rinsing out the Registry but the Ad-aware program fixed my computer in about twenty minutes.

Good software at www.lavasoft.de

This group of Swedes, for some reason using a German address, have done a brilliant program.

Blackduff

Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 627 of 1492
Subject: Re: What is Your Favorite Free Software? Date: 6/1/2004 10:41 PM
One of my favs is the tool from SSA that lets you do custom benefits calculations:

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/ANYPIA/anypia.html

'course it doesn't produce any statistics about the odds of the money actually being there when it's time for me to collect :-(

I also like I-tunes for playing and organizing the music on my PC.

Author: Foolfromfool Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 644 of 1492
Subject: Re: What is Your Favorite Free Software? Date: 6/20/2004 7:11 PM
Recommendations: 1
free version of treesize is my favorite.
It tells you which directory is occupying how much space and so on.
Especially useful if you are using a computer that is been in good use for a few years.

Also at www.download.com once you search for something, at the bottom of the page you can choose from a drop-down to search for free only. Pretty good site.

Author: Foolfromfool Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 645 of 1492
Subject: Re: What is Your Favorite Free Software? Date: 6/20/2004 7:12 PM
Recommendations: 2
Zonealarm is a good free firewall software too.

Author: 0xF00L Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 692 of 1492
Subject: Re: What is Your Favorite Free Software? Date: 7/12/2004 10:57 PM
iTunes....

http://www.apple.com/itunes/

0xF00L

Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 702 of 1492
Subject: Re: What is Your Favorite Free Software? Date: 7/16/2004 1:38 PM
iTunes....

http://www.apple.com/itunes/

Yeah I really like that software too. I like being able to purchase and download songs for a buck. However I just discovered that it may be difficult to transfer them to any other device but an Ipod. Has anyone run into that problem?

Author: Ibsulon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 750 of 1492
Subject: Re: What is Your Favorite Free Software? Date: 10/18/2004 7:28 PM
Way too late, but thought I'd chime in for posterity.

OpenOffice - why spend the money on Microsoft Office? You can even read and write most Office documents!

GIMP - it's a photoshop-like image processing program. Why spend the money to do simple work on your photos?

FireFox - of course, it's just replacing Internet Explorer, but you don't need to worry about Spybot as much because it more effectively blocks the nasties.

Of course, with most Linux distributions, you don't have to worry about spyware anyway, and that's completely free. :) - However, that's for the more advanced user...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement