No. of Recommendations: 1
Man, with my whole heart failure condition, being laid off, not being married and not having a kid so far, and no house, what the hec is driving my life? Seriously what am I living for? Further what makes me happy? Is it family ? Or friends ? Career? My life is seriously empty. Why do I get out of bed in the mornings?? The trip to Starbucks for coffee. Man I am just going through the motions. Damn no wonder I drink at night like I do. It temporarily raises m spirits. I am happy for that time. Oh man. Where is this all going? I see no goal. No endpoint.
Print the post Back To Top
C'mere, let wolverine give you a hug.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I'm thinking maybe time to get a little counseling, Really. Is depression possibly an effect of your heart drugs? I know people who have heart surgery have depression issues. Get it checked out. And no more booze.

Love, arrete
No. of Recommendations: 3
Alcohol is only making it worse. Get out and walk or exercise instead of drinking.

I agree that you are in need of some counseling. Even though my husband thought he was ready to retire being laid off was more than he was prepared to handle. Add in medical problems, and it isn't surprising that you are having problems. For my husband, counseling and anti-depressants have made a world of difference.

What did you enjoy?

If you aren't able to look for work yet, are there volunteer activities that interest you?
I was flip with Foolman in an attempt to lighten the mood with humor. While the medication may have an effect on his depression, the alcohol clearly doesn't help.

Being unemployed is no fun. At least I have a passive income to tide me over during life's tough times, plus I have a kid who loves me. Foolman has no such luxuries.

He probably sits around and thinks about his health and his money woes. It wears on you.

Hey Foolman, I called you and left a message for you on your VM. I mean what I said. If you need someone to vent to, I'm just a phone call away.
No. of Recommendations: 0
"Man, with my whole heart failure condition, being laid off, not being married and not having a kid so far, and no house, what the hec is driving my life? Seriously what am I living for? Further what makes me happy? Is it family ? Or friends ? Career? My life is seriously empty. Why do I get out of bed in the mornings?? The trip to Starbucks for coffee. Man I am just going through the motions. Damn no wonder I drink at night like I do. It temporarily raises m spirits. I am happy for that time. Oh man. Where is this all going? I see no goal. No endpoint." - Aolf

--------------

We are here just to live. Just to experience living in a 3 dimensional + 1 time universe, what time and space look and feel like, and learn what it means and how it feels to be separate.

To quote my momma, "life ain't a bowl of cherries you know kiddo!" It was only later that I figured it's not supposed to be.

Life has to be emotional enough to imprint the memories we came here to make. The more emotional the experience the more powerful and long lasting the memory it creates. That is why life is the way it is.

Art
What is my goal in life? My goal is to win the lottery and live in The Villages in Florida, which is a big Tea party enclave I hear. First you buy a home and then you buy a golf cart. 90 miles of Golf cart roads.

The Villages, Florida - CBS Sunday Morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrpq5A-KAoA

Art
Foolman:

What is your goal? Don’t know and I’m not the person (nor is any other) to tell you what it is – you are.

However, something you can do in the interim. I’d like you to give at least three compliments a day to three people you meet during the day. Each compliment no more than 25 words and must be true compliments for seeing something that is worthy of a compliment.

This is not as easy as it sounds. However, it can be done.

Trust me on this.

MichaelR
Foolman:

Just to make it clear: one compliment each to three people you meet. If you see something nice, comment on it.

If you find there’s nothing to compliment search for one. Try hard.

MichaelR
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
Man, with my whole heart failure condition, being laid off, not being married and not having a kid so far, and no house, what the hec is driving my life? Seriously what am I living for? Further what makes me happy? Is it family ? Or friends ? Career? My life is seriously empty. Why do I get out of bed in the mornings?? The trip to Starbucks for coffee. Man I am just going through the motions. Damn no wonder I drink at night like I do. It temporarily raises m spirits. I am happy for that time. Oh man. Where is this all going? I see no goal. No endpoint.

I've gone through times like this. I couldn't figure out what I wanted as my goal in life, and I felt like I wasn't making any progress.

Now I don't worry about having "goals in life." I have been setting up short-term challenges for myself that I want to do because I enjoy the challenge. When I finish one challenge, I will move on to another one. It will always be something that I'm interested in.

For example:
1) I started exercising every single day beginning on March 4, 2012, and I'm still going.
2) I will be participating in the Tough Mudder in NJ in a little over a week (http://toughmudder.com/)
3) I recently started studying the computer science curriculum for free at MIT. Right now I'm studying Calculus I, which is one of the required classes (http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-01sc-single-variab...).
4) I *might* be doing what I call "The 100K Challenge" in 2013. That would be doing 100,000 sit-ups and 100,000 push-ups during 2013. It might be a little aggressive, so I might cut it down to "The 50K Challenge." I will reassess where I stand at the end of 2012.

I don't have a goal in life, but I do have a "mission" for the time being at least. It is to inspire people to be Better. Stronger. Faster.

http://www.betterstrongerfaster.com/

You should read this post that I wrote. LOL

Why You Suck
http://www.betterstrongerfaster.com/why-you-suck/
Being a participant on a retire early board, my goal is good health and FIRE status. You have those those two things, many other things are possible.

Mike
Now I don't worry about having "goals in life." I have been setting up short-term challenges for myself that I want to do because I enjoy the challenge. When I finish one challenge, I will move on to another one. It will always be something that I'm interested in.
----------------------

That becomes more true when you are retired. The long term goal is to stay alive and healthy. My short terms challenges are: to keep my back as in good shape as I can and become competant or even good on my musical instruments. That certainly keeps me busy, and it has given me the opportunity to help individuals and groups.

You have to be proactive to achieve anything. You'll never play well unless you practice, and my back won't get better if I don't do my exercises and go to physical therapy.

Right now I'm learning the blues - something about which I know zilch. And my days are so packed. I'm having fun.

And I swear the low carb diet makes me feel better - perkier.

arrete
A week ago, my wife and I were being shown around a CCRC (retirement community) that is closer to the Medical Center where I'm being treated for the same thing: Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy. We don't plan to move anytime soon, unless I go back on the transplant list, which I came off of because my Ejection Fraction moved from 10 up to 35-40 after a year and a half on the meds and a CRT-D (Biventricular pacemaker and cardio defibrilator) being implanted. My main doc doesn't know how long I'll stay at this level before going back down again, but it could be days or it could be years, nobody knows. I still get short of breath and fatigued with minimal exertion, but I've been getting use to it. Anyway, during the tour, the rep for the place asked me what I had been doing since I stopped working two and a half years ago, and I said "just trying to stay alive." She looked totally flustered, but recovered and continued the tour. While we were walking, I told my wife that I regreted having said what I said, but that it was in fact the first thing that popped into my mind, and it's in fact what I have been doing for the past two and a half years. I don't plan on saying it again, but life frequently sends us some huge challenges, and we simply have to confront them and deal with them as best we can. Having read your posts for a long time now, you seem to have what it takes to recover and get back on track. Maybe a new med might help, so you should certainly tell your doc how you've been feeling. Nobody else walks in your shoes, so it's up to you to find out how your want to answer the question when you're asked, "Hey, what have you been doing for the past few years." I think we all can do better than saying, "just trying to stay alive." Personally, I want to find new things that bring pleasure into my life so I can better enjoy whatever the future brings. Good luck.
AOL

Well AOL, I can't pass this one off.

The answer is Jesus and a good woman to share your life with. <g>

There. I'm done. No more proselytizing. <g>

decath
My goal in life used to be retired by 50 and spend more time doing medical missions work. Not going to happen. Maybe 55 now(I'm currently 47 but real close to 48).

Way back in the day when I was "planning" my life, I thought by this time I'd have 2 kids in college, empty nest, and making contacts to be overseas about 3-4 months out of the year. Well, DW 1.0 had a change of heart about kids, career, and being married (at least to me) and things drastically changed after that. By the time DW 2.0 came along, too late to bother with kids so we spoil the niece and nephews.

You're probably at that point in life where you're wondering what your "legacy" will be. Who will remember you. For most, its kids/grandkids. For you it could still be kids/grandkids. Or maybe you need to look into teaching the next generation whether its via Boy Scouts, Little League, job mentoring, teach a college class, etc.

Definitely get involved in some social group. This board is great to bounce around ideas and stuff, but you still need face to face people contact.

JLC
"Anyway, during the tour, the rep for the place asked me what I had been doing since I stopped working two and a half years ago, and I said "just trying to stay alive." She looked totally flustered, but recovered and continued the tour." - ResNullius
---------------------

I thought it was a great answer. It was what she needed to hear. She needed to know that life ain't always a bowl of cherries.

Art
aol

Seriously though AOL, I agree with others on the board about getting some counseling and avoiding alcohol. Alcohol is a viscious circle that seems to temporarily help but then can cause depression after it wears off the next morning. Plus it will make you gain weight and affect your health. It's a dangerous spiral downward.

About the depression. I've know a few people that had everything still get it. One in particular puzzled me. He was a commited Christian, an athlete in tip top shape, had 2 great adult kids that were prospering in their respective careers, a life long marriage with an ex beauty queen and a superstar in his career-until the depression hit.

Yet, he could not figure out way he was so low and getting worse. He sought counseling. They tried a few prescription drugs but it only made things worse. In the end, it was some sort of chemical inbalance caused by his meat and potatoes (high carb) diet. He low-carbed, increased his veggies, cut back his caffiene and sugar intake and recovered. He is now back at the top of his game.

Personally, I think food choices are the cause of most of society's problems, as I'm sure most on this board know after reading my posts for 10 years. The chemical ingredients of processed foods frak with the body and cause unpredictable results based on each of our unique bodies.

decath
4) I *might* be doing what I call "The 100K Challenge" in 2013. That would be doing 100,000 sit-ups and 100,000 push-ups during 2013. It might be a little aggressive, so I might cut it down to "The 50K Challenge." I will reassess where I stand at the end of 2012.

That only comes out to about 270/day. Really not hard to do. Sometimes my WOD (Workout of the Day) that I use for Spartan Race training has a power hour of pushups. Do X number each minute for an hour. I easily do 10/minute so that is 600 in an hour. So if you only did 5/minute, you've got it covered. You could easily do 5 pushups and 5 situps each minute.

Let me know how the Tough Mudder goes. I've looked at their website and might do one as well.

JLC
"Well AOL, I can't pass this one off. The answer is Jesus and a good woman to share your life with. <g> There. I'm done. No more proselytizing. <g>" - decath

--------------

And here is the place to accomplish those goals. The woman in the picture is my SIL. Bob is an excellent speaker by the way. He is really active in digging water wells in Ghana. - Art

Bob Chisholm
Small Group & Spiritual Formation Minister

"Bob currently serves as our Small Group & Spiritual Formation Minister. He and Pam have been married since 1975, are the parents of David and Jessica, and have been with Prestoncrest since 2002.

Bob is a native Texan but has also lived in Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Missouri. He received a Bachelors degree in Bible and Biblical Languages from Harding University in Searcy, a Masters degree in Religion from Harding Graduate School of Religion in Memphis, and has a passion for mentoring, small groups, and teaching people about Jesus."

http://prestoncrest.org/about/ministers/bob-chisholm
"Definitely get involved in some social group. This board is great to bounce around ideas and stuff, but you still need face to face people contact." - JLC

Aolf lives really close to my BIL, Bob Chisholm. I wish he'd talk to Bob about stuff. He's a great guy married to my wife's sister. He's a minister in Dallas, TX.

http://prestoncrest.org/about/ministers/bob-chisholm

Art
madcap

JLC
That only comes out to about 270/day. Really not hard to do. Sometimes my WOD (Workout of the Day) that I use for Spartan Race training has a power hour of pushups. Do X number each minute for an hour. I easily do 10/minute so that is 600 in an hour. So if you only did 5/minute, you've got it covered. You could easily do 5 pushups and 5 situps each minute.

Let me know how the Tough Mudder goes. I've looked at their website and might do one as well.

The 100k challenge sounds pretty awesome. The question I have is are you doing those things every day? The body needs rest so 7 days a week of 270 pushups/situps would wipe you out afer just a few weeks and inviting injury. If it were me, I'd alternate and do 3 days of pushups and 3 days of situps. That works out to 640 per day with one day of complete rest.

decath (who does a lot of push-ups, pullups and situps twice per week. Pull-ups are a b...ch with my 220 lb frame. When I'm fresh, I can generally do 8-13 legal pullups. So I encorporate variations like jumping pullups or use elastic bands after my arms are fried.)

decath
AOLF, do you like to read? One thing you may consider is feeding your mind, as that takes no physical effort that would tax your body, yet is sometimes helpful in overcoming depression. Human pain of the type you're experiencing can ultimately be liberating. My favorite author wrote profoundly about suffering in this book.

The Problem of Pain by C. S. Lewis

http://www.pc-freak.net/files/ProblemOfPain.pdf

Excerpt:

Mental pain is less dramatic than physical pain, but it's more common and also harder to bear. The frequent attempt to conceal mental pain increases the burden: it's easier to say "My tooth is aching" than to say "My heart is broken". Yet if the cause is accepted and faced, the conflict will strengthen and purify the character and in time the pain will usually pass. Sometimes, however, it persists and the effect is devastating; if the cause is not faced or not recognised, it produces the dreary state of the chronic neurotic. But some by heroism overcome even chronic mental pain They often produce brilliant work and strengthen, harden, and sharpen their characters till they become like tempered steel. [...]

Pain provides an opportunity for heroism; the opportunity is seized with surprising frequency.
Hi AOL

I was gonna keep my mouth shut as you seem to have gotten no lack of advice.

Having gone through my own bout of CHF downer, I couldn't hold my tongue, sorry.

Find your passion, switch from passion to passion, find something to be passionate about, Could be exercise, could be lap dancing, doesn't matter, find your passion and then find another one.

Don't look to others, it is you passion, when you find it, you will drag others into it, or like a magnet attract others in your orbit.
Hi AOLFool,

It's 1142 am here and I'm just reading this post.....I have to head out to a meeting and then Costco but I will ponder this question. I can say that sometimes life is mundane, and feels without purpose...same old, same old and for what? Other times, it can be joyous and exciting and ain't life grand. The in between times is just slogging along.

Being retired, the days can get blurry for me...just trying to keep up with what I have to do and not doing a good job of it. House, yard, dogs, cats, me, working out, recorder practice, 12 step meetings, trying to do some socializing ......man, it's too much...I need help.

I reckon I've answered your question but I dunno, I gotta go.

Some days suck, some days don't, some days I'm flying. :)

We need some excitement AOLFool!

Hugs,
LD
Good question.

I do have a wife and a son. My goal is to raise him to be a responsible member of society, to contribute to it instead of detract from it. Lord knows I'm not perfect and have made plenty of mistakes, but my son has a clean slate and I'm hoping I can use the mistakes I've made to teach him to avoid them.

I'd also like to own a house again, but to keep it this time. I think I found the house I want to own. It's near Ann Arbor, not in it, but close enough where I could still bike to work if I had to (not that I'd want to in the winter, it's on a dirt road, but I could.) It's still in the Ann Arbor school district (which is one of the best in the state) and is a bit off the beaten path (on two acres of land!) It would be at the high end of what I could possibly afford, but is a steal given where it is!

I just have to figure out how to get from where I am to a place where I can buy that house. We've been digging out of debt for years, and are most of the way out but, unfortunately, still have over $10,000 to pay off. Some months it's really tight, so saving for a down payment is very difficult. It would probably cost about the same to live in that house as it is to live in the apartment we live in now (and over time it will be cheaper to live in the house given that rent keeps going up, up up!) but I'm just in no position to get a mortgage yet.

That's stressing me. Having a small kid in an apartment is one thing, but my son's well into the "I'm going to play outside!" age and it would be nice to have a yard for him to play in, a dog for him to chase around, enough room to invite friends over (our apartment is cramped to say the least!), etc. If we got this house he'd be in a different school but the same district and would still be close enough to his friends that we could go see them (or have them over) regularly. Plus he's never had a problem making friends.

So, my immediate goal is to get my finances in order to get that house. My intermediate goal is to ensure that we keep our finances in order and long-term... just do no harm really. I'm pretty much set for life work-wise (provided I don't do something idiotic to get myself fired!) and while I won't be filthy rich I don't see abject poverty in my future either. Sometimes I dream about opening a store and selling cool stuff like Case pocket knives, automatic watches... stuff guys like. Maybe that could happen some day. Maybe I'll just do it online. Or maybe I'll never do it. I'm 34 so I hope to have plenty of time to work this all out.
I can list a lot of personal goals that I have that are athletic in nature, creative in nature do to my engineer-like interests, hobbies, sci-fi, video games, traveling the world etc... But to be honest none of them would fulfill me and at the end of the day, there would be a void in my live.

So to break it down to what my life-meaning goals are, what fulfills me completely....you know... the answer to life, the universe and everything.

- Serve God
- Serve my family
- Serve others

decath
lowstudent wrote: Find your passion, switch from passion to passion, find something to be passionate about, Could be exercise, could be lap dancing, doesn't matter, find your passion and then find another one.

What practical method might one use to "find" one's passion?
What practical method might one use to "find" one's passion?

Trial and error

There is nothing practical about doing. There is just the doing. WHen you do, you into you enjoy. When you enjoy you want to do better, when you want to do better, you prepare -- this takes you to places you would not otherwise go, and to places where folks may share your passion.

This works whether you determine it is foreign films and end up at a local college, running a marathon and you find local running spot which leads to local running group, jazz , gardening and etc

The only method I know of was simply thinking of things I either once enjoyed or had an interest in and doing. I found that the things I enjoyed and wanted to do more of, if I did even marginal looking there were outlets for. I ended up taking film classes in a college and started in a photo workshop at a library(with offers of other things from that, but lost interest), I found basketball leagues and a lot of friends after looking for a place with an indoor basketball court just so I could start moving around.

We all have interests, if we simply decide they are more important than whatever else we are doing(often watching TV, or some mundane things we don't get great enjoyment from) there can be magic to be made IMO
Pain provides an opportunity for heroism; the opportunity is seized with surprising frequency.
--------------

That's also true for physical pain as well as mental pain. When I'm feeling sorry for myself wrt physical, I also see some person who is much worse off and gamely continuing to live life as well as they can. Always inspiring. I watch this when I need encouragement.
http://www.godvine.com/Man-Barely-Able-to-Stand-on-his-Own-D...

arrete
decath (who does a lot of push-ups, pullups and situps twice per week. Pull-ups are a b...ch with my 220 lb frame. When I'm fresh, I can generally do 8-13 legal pullups. So I encorporate variations like jumping pullups or use elastic bands after my arms are fried.)

decath

I'm not far behind, 195 lb. Totally fresh I can crank out 15. Most days its 10.

My favorite all in one exercise, the burpee pullup. Its the old squat thrust pushup immediately going into a pullup. I can crank out about 30 of those. Doing the burpee motion give enough rest time for me that its like doing single pullups with rest.

JLC
The answer is Jesus and a good woman to share your life with. <g>

but what if he isn't bisexual, or falls for Manuel or Diego instead of Jesus?
Seriously what am I living for?

Have you tried thumping some golf balls?
Trial and error
The only method I know of was simply thinking of things I either once enjoyed or had an interest in and doing. I found that the things I enjoyed and wanted to do more of, if I did even marginal looking there were outlets for. I ended up taking film classes in a college and started in a photo workshop at a library(with offers of other things from that, but lost interest), I found basketball leagues and a lot of friends after looking for a place with an indoor basketball court just so I could start moving around.
---------------

I agree. I would add that sometimes you have ebbs and flows during the process. Something else comes up; you get lazy; whatever. Learning dulcimer was like that for me. I found it hard to concentrate and learn when I was still on narcotics. The one thing that did get me to a new level of proficiency was taking a class that was a bit above my level. As a result I had to practice like a mad woman so as not to embarrass myself. And now I play much better.

When you get immersed in something, you get to know other people who open up further opportunities in the area and so it grows. That's how I ended up with a bowed dulcimer and suddenly became a member of a small group. Bet there aren't 100 people in the US that play one, and they all know each other.

Really digging into a couple of things - music, art, running, knitting, whatever can be a lot of fun. And nurturing, too.

arrete
I hope this doesn't come off sounding trite or glib, but when I'm in the doldrums, I watch this video that I put on my desktop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo_24_qTNac
"That's also true for physical pain as well as mental pain. When I'm feeling sorry for myself wrt physical, I also see some person who is much worse off and gamely continuing to live life as well as they can. Always inspiring. I watch this when I need encouragement."
http://www.godvine.com/Man-Barely-Able-to-Stand-on-his-Own-D......
arrete

-------------------------------------------

There are people in Malaysia who stick metal rods through the skin of their face, lips, cheeks, etc. In the Philipines people intentionally re-enact the crucifixion of Jesus. In the United States little high school girls intentionally take knives and cut themselves. People go and pay money to have other people "pierce" their bodies. American Indians have this ritual where they hang themselves from hooks through the skin of their chest and backs.

In the Middle Ages religious fanatics took whips and flaggelated their own backs till they were bloody raw. Kids today go and get painful tatoos all over their bodies (and body piercings)? All over the world people intentionally eat hot peppers in their food, and for some people the hotter the better. Those peppers burn their lips, tongues, the inside of the mouths, and sometimes they burn as much coming out the other end as when they went in.

What possesses people to intentionally do very painful things to themselves? What if maybe it's not the person themselves that are doing those things but the soul directing the person to do those things to themselves? Now the question is... WHY?

Just imagine that you are a soul that comes from a place where time and space don't exist, where nothing exists unless it is first thought of, and you haven't got any idea what it feels like to be inside a body, and you don't know what a body even is, or how to direct it, or the parameters of that body and you have a very limited amount of time to learn about the body, and to make "pixels" or bits of information, enough to re-create a body if you need to, and in fact enough information to share with ever soul that has ever lived or will ever live? What if you have been given the commission of coming to this physical reality and were told by the Creator that He wanted you to make as many bits of information or pixels of information about the shape of the body? And you only have a very limited amount of time to do it in?

Sort of like a sculptor that has been told to chisel out a body out of marble and all you have been given is a hammer and a chisel. So you hammer away, and pretty soon this beautiful sculpture emerges from the marble and you did it all with a hammer and a chisel.

I am a believer in this life being a school, and we are here to learn a few simple lessons, what time and space look and feel like, what it feels like to inhabit a body, and make memories of what it was like to direct that body, like a driver driving a car, and memories of what it was like to live in a 3 dimensional + 1 time Universe. And you will use this information after you cross back over into Heaven to conjure up your own reality. In Mark H's NDE he said "I thought of a mountain and one appeared." The atheist A.J. Ayer's said "it was very strange, my thoughts became persons." Mark Horton said, "I merely had to think of a time and place and I was there experiencing everything about that time and place."

We are gatherers of information, and the more emotional the experience the more powerful and long lasting the memory it creates. The soul uses the body like we use a suit of clothes, and when it is finished it will toss off this suit of clothes like an old worn out suit, with barely a backward glance. With as much emotion as we might reserve for an old worn out pair of tennis shoes. We are simply spiritual beings having a physical experience.

Art
Really digging into a couple of things - music, art, running, knitting, whatever can be a lot of fun. And nurturing, too. arrete

I agree.
I went to Fat Camp this summer. Lost 74 pounds. Decided to go to cooking school. Signed up, showed up, cut my fingers, learning dice from chop. Thought that if I'm going to stay fit I should learn how to feed my new skinny self.
Trial and error. I'm a dope, out of place, could care less. The Ladies in class are sweet and patient with me.

mcb
My favorite all in one exercise, the burpee pullup. Its the old squat thrust pushup immediately going into a pullup. I can crank out about 30 of those. Doing the burpee motion give enough rest time for me that its like doing single pullups with rest.

JLC

Cool! Never heard of that one. That would be a great way to work out the whole body. I do full burpees occasionally and emphasise a jump squat at the end as high as I can go.

decath
cc
I hope this doesn't come off sounding trite or glib, but when I'm in the doldrums, I watch this video that I put on my desktop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo_24_qTNac

Ya. That will give you perspective. Saw it the 1st time about a year ago. I had my youngest daughter watch it with me after she was struggling with a few issues in her life.

decath
AOL:

Your life is what you decide to make of it.

You can live for yourself.
You can live to make the world a better place.
You can become a family man and live for your family.
You can live to maximize your pleasure.
You can live for your religion.

I'm not even sure what the entire list is. Everyone decides this for themselves consciously or unconsciously ("if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice!").

No one can tell you which choice is right for you.

For me personally, I have lived for my kids my whole adult life. Now that my kids are moving out, I will face a similar crisis - but I haven't quite gotten there yet.

I'm thinking whatever my primary choice is, I plan to mix a little hedonism in to :)
The 100k challenge sounds pretty awesome. The question I have is are you doing those things every day? The body needs rest so 7 days a week of 270 pushups/situps would wipe you out afer just a few weeks and inviting injury. If it were me, I'd alternate and do 3 days of pushups and 3 days of situps. That works out to 640 per day with one day of complete rest.

decath

I have been doing sit-ups and push-ups every morning and making slow incremental changes. I'm trying to make it sustainable. Don't laugh. I'm a wuss. I was *ridiculously* out of shape when I started exercising every day back in March. I couldn't even do 5 good push-ups!

The rest is 30 seconds between sets.

Date    Day  Sets  Reps   Sit-Ups      Cumulative       Annual Rate     Sets     Reps     Push-Ups         Cumulative       Annual Rate         Rest (Seconds)            Time (Minutes)
09/18/12 Tue 10 10 100 100 36,500 5 5 25 25 9,125 30 14
09/19/12 Wed 10 10 100 200 36,500 5 5 25 50 9,125 30 14
09/20/12 Thu 10 10 100 300 36,500 5 5 25 75 9,125 30 14
09/21/12 Fri 10 10 100 400 36,500 5 5 25 100 9,125 30 14
09/22/12 Sat 10 10 100 500 36,500 5 5 25 125 9,125 30 14
09/23/12 Sun 10 10 100 600 36,500 5 5 25 150 9,125 30 14
09/24/12 Mon 10 10 100 700 36,500 5 5 25 175 9,125 30 14
09/25/12 Tue 10 10 100 800 36,500 5 5 25 200 9,125 30 13
09/26/12 Wed 10 10 100 900 36,500 5 5 25 225 9,125 30 13
09/27/12 Thu 10 12 120 1,020 43,800 5 6 30 255 10,950 30 14
09/28/12 Fri 10 12 120 1,140 43,800 5 6 30 285 10,950 30 14
09/29/12 Sat 10 12 120 1,260 43,800 5 6 30 315 10,950 30 14
09/30/12 Sun 10 12 120 1,380 43,800 5 6 30 345 10,950 30 14
10/01/12 Mon 10 12 120 1,500 43,800 5 6 30 375 10,950 30 14
10/02/12 Tue 10 12 120 1,620 43,800 5 6 30 405 10,950 30 14
10/03/12 Wed 10 12 120 1,740 43,800 5 6 30 435 10,950 30 14
10/04/12 Thu 10 13 130 1,870 47,450 5 7 35 470 12,775 30 15
10/05/12 Fri 10 13 130 2,000 47,450 5 7 35 505 12,775 30 15
10/06/12 Sat 10 13 130 2,130 47,450 5 7 35 540 12,775 30 15
10/07/12 Sun 10 13 130 2,260 47,450 5 7 35 575 12,775 30 15
10/08/12 Mon 10 13 130 2,390 47,450 5 7 35 610 12,775 30 14
10/09/12 Tue 10 13 130 2,520 47,450 5 8 40 650 14,600 30 15
10/10/12 Wed 10 14 140 2,660 51,100 5 8 40 690 14,600 30 15
10/11/12 Thu 10 14 140 2,800 51,100 5 8 40 730 14,600 30 15

Date Day Sets Reps Sit-Ups Cumulative Annual Rate Sets Reps Push-Ups Cumulative Annual Rate Rest (Seconds) Time (Minutes)

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll

OK, OK, I believe you,

You are an accountant!

Date Day Sets Reps Sit-Ups Cumulative Annual Rate Sets Reps Push-Ups Cumulative Annual Rate Rest (Seconds) Time (Minutes)

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll

OK, OK, I believe you,

You are an accountant!

Even worse, I'm an accountant that started out as an aerospace engineering major. :-)
Interesting Madcap. Keep us posted. I'd like to know how it's going. Plus, if you know JLC and me are paying attention, we'll help hold you accountable and call you names when you slack up. <g>

Nice blog article on "you suck" btw. I liked it.

decath
Nice blog article on "you suck" btw. I liked it.

decath

Thanks. You inspired it. :-)
No. of Recommendations: 5
I thought it was a great answer. It was what she needed to hear. She needed to know that life ain't always a bowl of cherries.

Art

>>>>>>>>>>>

and that's the truth. I recently heard in a meeting that we are discontented lot, the weather's too hot, it's too cold, that guy or gal looked at me funny, life is too difficult, on and on.

We have this expectation we should be happy all the time and when we aren't, we wonder what is wrong or worse, try to blame somebody else for our feeling bad.

Seems my life goes in cycles, can't figure the variables, if my sleep is completely out of whack ......well, mental health starts to fail and everything looks hopeless. But when sleep is okay and no big emotional upsets going on, things are going good, feel positive, feel strong, life is easy, rhythm of life is going good....then it starts to wane and go into the down cycle, and life is a slog, where does the time go, oh gosh, I haven't accomplished anything, then little by little it changes and it goes in a more positive cycle. If I keep going to my meetings and staying in touch with other compulsive overeaters, alkies and al anon'ers, keep up contacts with people, do my exercise and recorder classes and doggie stuff, I don't feel so all alone and different. It's when I think I'm the only one who feels this way is when I can get really down and I salute you AOLFool for speaking openly about your feelings.....life is tough when you're single but we're not the only ones out there. Heck, we could be in a really sick, loveless marriage with money sucking children who will never grow up. So, there is a bright side you know. :)

LuckyDog

MC

I see a difference of 120, go find it :)
I see a difference of 120, go find it :)

Huh? I see many differences of 120.
Heck, we could be in a really sick, loveless marriage with money sucking children who will never grow up. So, there is a bright side you know. :)

LuckyDog

Well, I'll never complain about my marriage.

But I think "money sucking" is embedded into a child's bar code before he/she is shipped to you from China! <g>

decath
Step out of the Box.
Mankind. Creatures of habit.

Could you eat an Elephant?
How would you eat an Elephant?

One bite at a time, times...

Remember day planners?
Make a priority List.
Have a Bucket List.

Start a business.
Goods or Services?

"5 Hour Energy" Sells for $3.99.
Those consumables are growing.

Invent something.

Get a welder and make a receiver hitch insert with a winch
on it.
So someone with a trailer with no winch
can winch something onto it.

Invent a tee shirt line.

Host a comedian tryout in a local joint and judge it.

Take a flying lesson.

Go to Whitewright and skydive. Tandem, or learn to solo.

When is the last time you went overnight camping?
Have you ever shot a bow and arrow?
Need to borrow some of my gear? ;)

Go to the Art supply and get some charcoal pencils and a pad.

Can you ride a motorcycle? You can borrow my wife's vintage 1975
Yamaha 100 street/dirt bike. ;)

Go racing.

Want to learn to drive a Big Truck? I'll teach you enough to
run around an empty parking lot and stuff.

I think of all of the regulars here as extended family.
Want to hold a picnic or locals lunch or something?

Write some stuff on some slips of paper.
Put them in a hat and draw one out.

Want to fill in for me at the Economic Development Corp mtg Monday night? I'm out of town.

Let me or us know if you want to do anything like rent a Ferrari and ride around one day. Swing past Tommy Lee's place out near San Saba and look at his Polo field, and then have a soda in Austin and come home.
Sorry guys for not responding till now. As you can imagine, it's a tough thing for me. I'm trying to quit drinking at night, but it's not really working. I stopped for 2-3 months earlier when I got heart failure, but started up again. I did enjoy being sober for 2-3 months. But it was boring as hec.....my mind was always racing...thinking too fast..

I really need to figure what I need to do. I often, through out my life (even in high school) go through depression episodes. It was pretty freqent in high school and early college but quickly died off when I got older, but it does creep back from time to time. Drinking certainly adds to it. But NOT drinking also drives me insane as well, because my mind races very quickly (no alcohol to slow it down), I get fidgety, and I get incredibly bored.

Anyways, I need to find the next stage in my life. I've worked as an engineer at NASA (JSC) when I was younger, then worked as an engineer in the oil/gas fields for a few years, then at General Electric as an engineer on their gas turbines (GE Power). Then got my MBA and worked at a high priced firm for consulting/auditing etc...which I hated......now what do i do???

Taking my time.....oh well.
Anyways, I need to find the next stage in my life. I've worked as an engineer at NASA (JSC) when I was younger, then worked as an engineer in the oil/gas fields for a few years, then at General Electric as an engineer on their gas turbines (GE Power). Then got my MBA and worked at a high priced firm for consulting/auditing etc...which I hated......now what do i do???

Just because I was toying with the idea, and also had run through a couple of different types of activity, though not as wide a variety as you.

What I do see, is a lot of work for larger causes.

WIth your MBA experience and detail oriented nature from engineering, have you considered another change not only of field but of focus?

What I am talking about is perhaps moving to an individual based versus more corporate based function. Perhaps looking into working as a financial planner? That would allow regular intervention with folks on an individual level integrating your personal and business life a little more

Obviously there will be an initial hit in revenue, but you do not seem to be in a hurry. I am guessing personal finance is what brought you to the Fool initially so there may be a natural interest.

Anyway, just throwin' my 2 cents out there
No. of Recommendations: 5
Sorry guys for not responding till now. As you can imagine, it's a tough thing for me. I'm trying to quit drinking at night, but it's not really working. I stopped for 2-3 months earlier when I got heart failure, but started up again. I did enjoy being sober for 2-3 months. But it was boring as hec.....my mind was always racing...thinking too fast..

I really need to figure what I need to do. I often, through out my life (even in high school) go through depression episodes. It was pretty freqent in high school and early college but quickly died off when I got older, but it does creep back from time to time. Drinking certainly adds to it. But NOT drinking also drives me insane as well, because my mind races very quickly (no alcohol to slow it down), I get fidgety, and I get incredibly bored.

Taking my time.....oh well.

In my opinion, you should go to AA immediately. Boredom is a *horrible* excuse for drinking!

There must be *something* else that can engage your mind. Find something interesting to challenge yourself.

Begin exercising again. It will help with depression, and it actually restructures the mind (read Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain http://www.amazon.com/Spark-Revolutionary-Science-Exercise-B...)

I just wrote a blog post about exercise:

Secrets I Used to Begin Exercising Every Single Day

http://www.betterstrongerfaster.com/every-single-day/

Don't wait until you are motivated. Start changing your habits TODAY. It will change the way you feel. Think of the habits that would be necessary to carry you in the direction that you want to go and start developing them NOW. One at a time, and start small.
I think you need to get completely out of engineering, even the consulting part of it. You know it well, so where's the challenge?

Perhaps find something completely different, that stretches--no, fries--your brain as you master it.
lowstudent wrote: Perhaps looking into working as a financial planner? That would allow regular intervention with folks on an individual level integrating your personal and business life a little more

This is what I was thinking, too. You can get a Certified Financial Planner designation online at Boston University.

http://professional.bu.edu/programs/financial-planning
"I've worked as an engineer at NASA (JSC) when I was younger, then worked as an engineer in the oil/gas fields for a few years, then at General Electric as an engineer on their gas turbines (GE Power). Then got my MBA and worked at a high priced firm for consulting/auditing etc...which I hated......now what do i do??? Taking my time.....oh well." - aolf
---------------------

You need to watch more TV. I'd also recommend more pizza and more sleep. Long naps in the afternoon are very luxurious. Then go out at night and try and pick up alcoholic drunk women in bars.

That would be a very productive use of your time.

Artie
"Perhaps find something completely different, that stretches--no, fries--your brain as you master it." - catherine

May I recommend a nice cushy soft University job in Austin, Texas? No profit motive. Lots of annual leave and sick leave, paid holidays, administrative closing during Christmas, good health insurance, pension when you retire.... What's not to like?

U.T. Austin Job Search

https://utdirect.utexas.edu/apps/hr/jobs/nlogon/search/0/

Art
May I recommend a nice cushy soft University job in Austin, Texas? No profit motive. Lots of annual leave and sick leave, paid holidays, administrative closing during Christmas, good health insurance, pension when you retire.... What's not to like?

WIth the exception of getting paid, it doesn't seem much different than staying home and drinking, I am not sure this is a great solution.
"WIth the exception of getting paid, it doesn't seem much different than staying home and drinking, I am not sure this is a great solution." - lowstudent
------------------------

Co-eds! Thousands of them. And then there's the social interaction, walking around and talking to your coworkers about UT football, track, baseball, etc. In the Spring when the pretty young girls start wearing tube tops and short skirts it just doesn't get any better than that.

Art
Co-eds! Thousands of them. And then there's the social interaction, walking around and talking to your coworkers about UT football, track, baseball, etc. In the Spring when the pretty young girls start wearing tube tops and short skirts it just doesn't get any better than that.

Art

OK you win

IMO if you do not need to work for the money, then go find something you love and do that.

I've seriously thought about applying to work with Planetary Resources, Inc.
IMO if you do not need to work for the money, then go find something you love and do that.

------------

Yes that's good advice jim. I just don't know exactly what. I have a nice cushion of money but definitely not enough to retire on yet. I've myself working in my own little tinkerers shop inventing new gadgets and design new products. Maybe enough to invent and get patents. I would obviously work for myself with no time pressure and stress. Also I'd do some art work as well. I just need to somehow get started. Need to buy equipment. It'd be a hobby but if I can make a bit of money all the better. I'm just the type who works so much better really thinking things through and deeply rather than do the high stress corporate rat race. Last job was like that, although I wouldn't have called my prior engineering jobs "high stress". Not at all. Pace was very good for the most part.
Yes that's good advice jim. I just don't know exactly what. I have a nice cushion of money but definitely not enough to retire on yet. I've myself working in my own little tinkerers shop inventing new gadgets and design new products. Maybe enough to invent and get patents. I would obviously work for myself with no time pressure and stress. Also I'd do some art work as well. I just need to somehow get started. Need to buy equipment. It'd be a hobby but if I can make a bit of money all the better. I'm just the type who works so much better really thinking things through and deeply rather than do the high stress corporate rat race. Last job was like that, although I wouldn't have called my prior engineering jobs "high stress". Not at all. Pace was very good for the most part.

Let me tell you about the guy who owns this RV park I'm in at the moment. Maybe it'll spark an idea.

Mostly his wife runs the RV park. He does some maintenance and pumps propane.

Six months of the year, when the park is closed, he works for a company that makes wrapping machines. They wrap pretty much anything. He goes out, wherever the company sends him, to service/repair these machines, or install new ones.

Frequently when he installs a new one that is in place of an old one, he'll ask the customer what they plan to do with the old one. And often the answer is that they will junk it. So he buys it, and has it shipped here to the park.

When the park is open and he's here, he spends a lot of his time completely refurbishing these machines. Then he sells them to companies that can't afford new ones, and goes out as needed to install or service them.
although I wouldn't have called my prior engineering jobs "high stress". Not at all. Pace was very good for the most part.

I am well paid for the job I do now. It has good points and bad points. I do NOT love it.

I used to have a job I loved.

If I left this line of work and went into the line I loved, I'd take at least a 20% cut in pay.

If I could live without that money, I think I'd go back into the job I loved (all sorts of engineering, analysis, and other fun stuff). At least as close to it as I could get.

Epona has gone back to school. She's wants a degree in social work. It won't pay well but it will probably have good benefits. With her benefits and the little bit of income that provides (and the last of my kids moving out), there's a very good chance that I can go back to doing stuff I love.

I guess that's what I'm suggesting for you. If you loved working for NASA, figure out a way to return to that kind of work (I realize NASA isn't hiring but there are private space firms out there).

If you liked working with oil companies, I'm sure some of them are hiring. Ditto Boeing.

If you have never found a job you truly loved, then spend a little time dabbling and try to find something you do love.

As MadCap says though, I do suggest beginning an exercise regime. Being fit makes me feel 10 years younger. Plus I do a lot of thinking while I run :)
I would obviously work for myself with no time pressure and stress. Also I'd do some art work as well. - AOL

------------------

How about something involving photography? The pictures you have posted here are well done, you have an eye for it.
I would obviously work for myself with no time pressure and stress. Also I'd do some art work as well. - AOL

------------------

How about something involving photography? The pictures you have posted here are well done, you have an eye for it.

Maybe he could be like, an announcer. Like a caller man. You know how he always make those interesting comments during the game.
Maybe he could be like, an announcer. Like a caller man. You know how he always make those interesting comments during the game.

Caller man? That's what I get for copying and pasting. :-)

Caller man? That's what I get for copying and pasting. :-) - Madcap

---------------

No worries.

They they tend to give those jobs to ex-ballplayers and people that are, you know, in broadcasting.
They they tend to give those jobs to ex-ballplayers and people that are, you know, in broadcasting.

Well, that's really not fair. :-)

----------------

You know Mike, I know Andrew said the same thing awhile back. But I've never even have remotely imagined myself a phOtographer. But given that two people on this board that I really respect have said this, maybe I really need to give this more than a few seconds thought. Maybe it could be a new source of revenue. Thanks
You know Mike, I know Andrew said the same thing awhile back. But I've never even have remotely imagined myself a phOtographer. But given that two people on this board that I really respect have said this, maybe I really need to give this more than a few seconds thought. Maybe it could be a new source of revenue.

You also are not absolutely required to do only one thing.

----------------

You know Mike, I know Andrew said the same thing awhile back. But I've never even have remotely imagined myself a phOtographer. But given that two people on this board that I really respect have said this, maybe I really need to give this more than a few seconds thought. Maybe it could be a new source of revenue. Thanks - AOL

----------------------

Yeah, as you stalk Lady Gaga, you might as well do it as a paparazzi and make some money at it. Or you could become an official photographer for MUFON. Lots of possibilities.
Photography would be a nice add-on to his budding gigilo business.
"How about something involving photography? The pictures you have posted here are well done, you have an eye for it."

Better than getting involved with pornography.

Artie
Advertisement