Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Is Barack Obama a "progressive"? If he is, IMO, it's just barely.
No. of Recommendations: 0
I think he's more of a centrist - walking a fine line between real politik and progressive - what do you think?
No. of Recommendations: 1
Is Barack Obama a "progressive"? If he is, IMO, it's just barely.

I think his personal views are progressive - witness his State of the Union promises to fight climate change and promote science & tech spending and his coming onboard for same sex marriage and gun control.

But his hands are tied by a bought-and-paid-for, special-interest-run, gerrymandered House. That was allowed to come into existence by an ignorant, superstitious, TV, religion and junk-food-addled public.

Obama is intelligent enough to realize that politics is the art of the possible.

Still he could move the needle on "possible" if he were a better gladhander, backslapper, armtwister and back-room dealmaker like FDR, LBJ and Bobby Kennedy.
I think his personal views are progressive...

But in practice he doesn't seem to be. I sometimes wonder about his flipping on gay marriage. What changed? Has Malia confessed to him to preferring girls? I almost wonder if that was a calculated move. On the one hand it would alienate many Latino and black voters, but on the other hand were those same Latinos and blacks going to vote for Romney??? (don't think so!!) And it made him look better to his 2008 supporters who had become disillusioned with his caving on so many other issues.

Agree he isn't very good at back-room politics. Certainly not like LBJ or FDR. Though perhaps they knew where the bodies were buried, and Obama doesn't.
On the one hand it would alienate many Latino and black voters,

Are there no Latino and black gay people?

AM
On the one hand it would alienate many Latino and black voters,

Are there no Latino and black gay people?

of course, probably same % as not(Latino or Black)

but the straight ones }supposedly{ tend to conservative religious ... so that aspect of GOP appeals to them }supposedly{

tis the other aspects that are less friendly

trick isa politician bas to convince they're worth voting for
Advertisement