Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: MsPoppy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 252  
Subject: What kind of accounting....... Date: 7/10/2003 7:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Are you either primarily interested in, or do you currently work in?

I'm personally very interested in internal audit, but I'd be curious to hear about the career opportunities in the IRS. Basically, I like the idea of using accounting tools and information to help better industries and areas that I perceive to have inherent problems. Although, part of why I'm actively pursuing accounting now is for the flexibility. It's a versatile skill set. I might want to do the books for a general store in the middle of nowhere some day. I currently work in finance, but in a whole other area.

I think that accounting can be the cornerstone for some real and creative business solutions, but not via "creative accounting". I also don't think accounting is the least bit boring (despite its reputation).

So tell me your stories, what you like about accounting, what you don't like. What your career challenges have been. What you'd like to see changed in the industry or in other industries.

Current relevant news articles are welcome. Even political discussion as they relate to this field (Discussions of the IRS are arguably a very political conversation).

Welcome, everyone! Let's have some fun!

-Poppy
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Chmelkova2 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10 of 252
Subject: Re: What kind of accounting....... Date: 7/11/2003 3:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Are you either primarily interested in, or do you currently work in?

Hi, MsPoppy, glad you started this board! I just graduated with a post-bac in accounting in May. I'm job hunting right now. I have some experience (two seasons) in tax preparation, and have been working the last year in city government.

I don't have any exposure to internal audit, but I took an external audit class my last semester and found it interesting. I'm aiming for a small to medium-sized local / regional firm to start out in. I figure this will give me some exposure to both audit, and tax, and well as compilations, and maybe some bookkeeping type stuff.

I take the exam in November, review class starts tomorrow!

Author: MsPoppy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11 of 252
Subject: Re: What kind of accounting....... Date: 7/11/2003 5:13 PM
Recommendations: 1
I take the exam in November, review class starts tomorrow!

Good for you! Be sure to post about your prep experience. That will be very interesting.

Author: quasie Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12 of 252
Subject: Re: What kind of accounting....... Date: 7/11/2003 6:37 PM
Hi...I saw this on ITF.

I'm not a CPA but I do work in Cost Accounting for a Defense Contractor so I get my share of audits from the other side -do I ever:)

I went back to school in my 30's and got an accounting degree but didn't opt for the CPA exam for several reasons. One big one was the rather large cut in pay I would have to take. Also, I don't live in a big city and would have had to drive to LA and work for the hours (or so I thought at the time). Also, with the town being small, the CPA's are primarly Tax Accountants and I really don't like the Tax side of things. I'm really am happy with what I'm doing, work for a great company and think I made the right decisions for me.

Well, that's my story. I'll look forward to checking back and seeing who all the other Accountants are hanging around these boards these days.

One thing is for sure, between the IRS and the SEC the accounting field is has a good job market. Which reminds me, the SEC received extra money to help fight fraud and is in the process of hiring more accountants. I would love to do that but alas I would have to move and my husband wouldn't go for it.

-Quasie

Author: Deemm123 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13 of 252
Subject: Re: What kind of accounting....... Date: 7/12/2003 12:43 AM
I work as an accounting manager in a publicly traded firm. I've always enjoyed the sense of accomplishment of getting the monthly (quarter/year end) closes done and in finding new ways to speed things up. Or putting out better/more informative information for the operations side to use. Earlier in my career I was finding ways to speed up my own work, and now I get to work with my managers to find ways to make the whole department better. I'm amazed at how far we've come in the last few years.

Career challenges now: keeping up with the increasing demands for public companies under the Sarbanes-Oxley Act in an economic environment that keeps our staffing pretty lean.

Dislikes: Boring accountant jokes and always being asked to do someone's taxes (I don't - ever! Not since my BIL needed help filling out his 1040EZ - 90 minutes of pure torture)

Author: kahunacfa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14 of 252
Subject: Re: What kind of accounting....... Date: 7/12/2003 10:28 AM
I am not a CPA either, but I saw that this was a new board over on the ITF board - so I thought I would visit. I am a CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst): http://www.aimr.org, and a retired institutional portfolio manager (October 1995) when I was 51.

Kahuna,CFA

Author: CPAScott Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16 of 252
Subject: Re: What kind of accounting....... Date: 7/21/2003 7:36 PM
Interesting that you are enjoy internal audit, as that is now my field, although at my new company we are doing our best to avoid the term given it's negative connotations. My official title is "Business Process and Control Analyst". Basically, I was hired July 1st to ensure the company complies with Sarbanes-Oxley. Fun, fun!!

CPAScott

Author: MsPoppy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18 of 252
Subject: Re: What kind of accounting....... Date: 7/22/2003 1:53 PM
Interesting that you are enjoy internal audit, as that is now my field, although at my new company we are doing our best to avoid the term given it's negative connotations. My official title is "Business Process and Control Analyst". Basically, I was hired July 1st to ensure the company complies with Sarbanes-Oxley. Fun, fun!!

Do you like it?

Author: CPAScott Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19 of 252
Subject: Re: What kind of accounting....... Date: 7/22/2003 2:36 PM
Do you like it?

Now that I'm at my current company, yes. When I was with the BBC (big, bureaucratic company) I was no fan. But that had more to do with the corporate culture than the actual work.

My focus here is a bit different, however. Yes, I'll be doing some traditional internal audit work, but for the first 18 months I'll really be focused on process and control documentation. A small-cap company like mine never paid too much attention to internal control prior to being forced to, so depsite a relatively effective structure, there's a lot to do. Fortunately, I have wide-spread support and cooperation and am eager to dive in. We're really in the inital planning phases of the project now, though (determining our approach, getting the technology needed to accomplish the job, educating the audit committee, etc.) It's gonna be a busy, worthwhile few months followed by an interesting and fast-paced year or so. I'm almost anxious to see how my job and career (and this company) has progressed over that time period!

CPAScott

Author: CPAgentPreppie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20 of 252
Subject: Re: What kind of accounting....... Date: 7/22/2003 2:43 PM
I thought I had answered this question after I made my little joke about shredding the board but apparantly I didn't so here it goes.

Prior to my current job I was an auditor with the State of North Carolina. Not the tax kind, I audited the different agencies of the state. In general, I enjoyed auditing (I really did on my internship) but I didn't enjoy the atmosphere where I was. So, about two months ago I landed my current job.

I am now with a small, local not-for profit as their Finance Manager. Don't let the name fool you, I am the accounting department. I am essentially, the CFO, the controller, the AP department all rolled into one. Even though it's a ton more responsibility than my old job and I'm working more hours (and a few weekends), I love it. Fund accounting is a completely different ballgame that requires so random thinking at times but I'm a random type of guy.

Although, part of why I'm actively pursuing accounting now is for the flexibility. It's a versatile skill set. I might want to do the books for a general store in the middle of nowhere some day. I currently work in finance, but in a whole other area.

That's a great reason to persue accounting. Assuming you are going for those three letters after your name, you're golden in the job market. Contrary to it's stigma, accounting is probably the most versatile major there is because everyone respects what those three letters stand for. The finance committee that I deal with is exceedingly glad that I am the new finance manager simply because I have those three letters.

Agent

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement