UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59146  
Subject: What Kind of Future Is There? Date: 12/1/2008 8:40 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
GLOBAL CLASSROOMS
Going Off to College for Less (Passport Required)
By TAMAR LEWIN
More American students are heading overseas not just for
a semester abroad, but for their full degree program. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/01/education/01scotland.html?...

--------------------------

If they want employment, they had better stay abroad as well.

What kind of future is there for a nation that employs no one, educates no one, makes nothing, allows its infrastructure to rot in place...?

AM
Print the post Back To Top
Author: amuseing Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15866 of 59146
Subject: Re: What Kind of Future Is There? Date: 12/1/2008 3:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
>>What kind of future is there for a nation that employs no one, educates no one, makes nothing, allows its infrastructure to rot in place...?<<

I had Thanksgiving with an extended family who are very dear friends of mine. I used to tutor their two sons in grade school so they are comfortable asking me questions. During dinner the 21 year old son turned to me and said he knew our economy was a mess but he didn't really understand it and asked me what I saw as the future for his generation. I didn't know where to start.... I told him no one can know the future ( obviously ) and that even in the depression there were people who found opportunity and were able to get through it without hardship. At that point his grandfather chimmed in about the banks and the people who shouldn't have gotten mortgages, etc. etc. and took over the conversation.

Later on the young man came up to me again and said he didn't really know how a mortgage worked so I began an explanation of borrowing money, interest rates, equity, payment as a reasonable percentage of monthly income.... and then we were interrupted again.....

I finally told him we needed to go get a coffee and have some one on one time during his Christmas break. And I'm thinking hard about what I want to say to him......

V

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15867 of 59146
Subject: Re: What Kind of Future Is There? Date: 12/1/2008 3:55 PM
Recommendations: 0
I told him no one can know the future ( obviously ) and that even in the depression there were people who found opportunity and were able to get through it without hardship. At that point his grandfather chimmed in about the banks and the people who shouldn't have gotten mortgages, etc. etc. and took over the conversation.

Later on the young man came up to me again and said he didn't really know how a mortgage worked so I began an explanation of borrowing money, interest rates, equity, payment as a reasonable percentage of monthly income.... and then we were interrupted again.....

I finally told him we needed to go get a coffee and have some one on one time during his Christmas break. And I'm thinking hard about what I want to say to him......

heh.

'inversion' of my T-day dinner....

Nephew who's a college-jr, studying Finance (or something) is home for the holiday .. his grandmother (my sister's MIL) asks HIM --what the hell is going on? What do you think of the bailout (actually, she asked me first, but i said, "dunno ..too complicated for ME")
Nephew starts to answer ...and BIL starts bellowing ALL the RW talking points.

... questions, comments, disagreements --all met with louder bellowing.

<sigh>

=

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15873 of 59146
Subject: Re: What Kind of Future Is There? Date: 12/2/2008 4:43 PM
Recommendations: 1
If you go abroad or stay home and study "liberal arts' , you are likely to be unemployed no matter where you go looking for a job.

Having a degree in 'history' or 'philosophy' isn't going to get you anywhere no matter which college name is on the degree.....

Finance, MBA, accounting, legal, science, engineering - that is what employers are looking for.

Nice article, but silly. Go abroad to study liberal arts for 4 years? Waste of money!

Why bother?

Oh, right...they like reading and philosophy...and about the only thing that qualifies them for is a job in academia teaching other kids about 'liberal arts'...... once they get their PhDs by spending tens of thousands in tuition......to wind up virtually unemployable outside academia...

t.

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15875 of 59146
Subject: Re: What Kind of Future Is There? Date: 12/2/2008 6:09 PM
Recommendations: 6
telegraph writes,

If you go abroad or stay home and study "liberal arts' , you are likely to be unemployed no matter where you go looking for a job.

Having a degree in 'history' or 'philosophy' isn't going to get you anywhere no matter which college name is on the degree.....

Finance, MBA, accounting, legal, science, engineering - that is what employers are looking for.

</snip>

I don't know tele. There are an awful lot of MIT engineers who report to an Ivy League liberal arts grad.

intercst

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement