Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
What makes you think that filing a joint return will mean that any of "her" money will go to the delinquent child support? Preventing that is the whole point of injured spouse.

What she was told by an H&R Block preparer was that the injured spouse form is just an application to request that money she paid in would be returned to her (she didn't make enough this year to have to pay). The problem is that the AG generally will garnish the entire amount if there is any back child support owed. We're in TX. Our AG's office will garnish first and ask questions later.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.