Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JavaRunner Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 23740  
Subject: What Not to Do Date: 4/4/2014 7:09 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
This winter as most of us know has been horrible. January and February were terrible running months...at least in Indiana. I'm coaching a large group of folks for the upcoming 500 Festival Mini Marathon. Of the 126 who signed up for my store, on average 20 have been coming each week.

Now I am hearing from the people who actually have not run, or just run a little on the treadmill, about all the pain they are in. Here is a phone call I had yesterday.

Caller: Yeah I think the shoes I got in December aren't working.
Me: Ok, what's going on?
Caller: Well my back hurts, and I think I tweaked my knee.
Me: Sounds bad, tell me about your running for the last month or so.
Caller: Well I'm training for the Mini, and I didn't run when the weather was bad, so a couple weeks ago, I started running 6 miles a day.
Me: Is that your normal running?
Caller: No, I usually do 1-3 miles a couple times a week.
Me: I don't think it's the shoes, I think you are trying to make up too much time, and you can't do that with less than a month before the race.
Caller: No, it's the shoes, they're those Nike Frees.
Me: Well it could be a combination of both, overtraining and a shoe you aren't used to running in.
Caller: What do I do?
Me: First, we offer a free injury screening, and it's coming up soon. Come see the PT, and see how serious your issues are, then, I would back down on the running. You're risking more injury. As for the shoes, come on in, and let's see what might work better for you.
Caller: No, I think it's just the shoes, that's what it said in Runner's World.
Me: That's fine, just know the most common reason we get injured is overtraining, and we can't make up miles we've missed.
Caller: So you aren't going to help me?
Me: Sure, come on in, and we can see what's going on shoe wise.
Caller: Ok.

This is not the exception to this season. A lot of people are telling me how much pain they are in. You can't make up two months of not running.

Charlie
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement