Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: makasha Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121338  
Subject: What not to do over April 15th Date: 4/16/2009 8:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Do not, do not, do not!!! go to Las Vegas April 12-15th and let it slip your mind that you needed to make 2008 IRA and Roth IRA contributions.

I was able to get checks mailed out for my contributions, and they will have 4/15/09 postmarks, but I forgot to write "Roth" on one and "Traditional" or deductible on the other.

I DID write my account numbers on the checks, and PYC 2008 (Prior Year Contribution). I realize now, too late, that *I* know which account is my Roth and which is my Tradtional, but does my brokerage know that? Don't they treat all IRA accounts the same way?

[a larger check was destined for Traditional/deductible IRA in order to lower my tax liability, a smaller check destined for the Roth in order that I could still access that money in a dire emergency without penalty. Total amount between both checks: $5000.00]

It all boils down to the following questions: What are my remedies (if any) should the 2008 contributions be incorrectly labeled? Can I call up my brokerage in about a week and ask them how they characterized each check/deposit/contribution? If they report both as Traditional contributions and/or both as Roth contributions, can I ask them to change/re-characterize each to the way I wanted (and should have written on the memo lines of the checks)? Will that still count as 2008 contributions?

Kasha
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 105799 of 121338
Subject: Re: What not to do over April 15th Date: 4/16/2009 9:22 PM
I realize now, too late, that *I* know which account is my Roth and which is my Tradtional, but does my brokerage know that? Don't they treat all IRA accounts the same way?

Mine (Ameritrade) knows which is which. They tell from the account number.
They do not treat all IRA accounts the same way because the regulations are different.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 105802 of 121338
Subject: Re: What not to do over April 15th Date: 4/17/2009 12:36 AM
ROTH and traditional IRA accounts are separate. As long as the checks post to the expected account, you should be fine.

Debra

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement