UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mrwade Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76406  
Subject: What to do? Date: 3/16/2001 10:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi-

I'm kind of new to this and need some help. Here's my situation:

--I am 26 and am not currently working this year (I'm in school).
--I have a 401(k), a 403(b), and a pension plan from my previous employer (the state); each one has not much money.
--My husband is 28 and is currently working for the state, and has all three listed above; each one with not much money as well.
--My husband is not currently contributing to either the 401(k) or the 403(b).
--His employer does not match contributions since they have their own retirement plan.
--We are in the 15% tax bracket.
--I would like to set up Roth IRA's for both of us.

First of all, I know I can roll over both my 401(k) and 403(b) into a traditional IRA and then into a Roth IRA. How do I go about getting started on this? My 403(b) is currently with TIAA-CREF, does anyone know if they have Roth's? Also, I don't think we can do anything with my husband's 401k/3b's since he is still working with the state, right? Presumably he would just have to start a Roth IRA from scratch. Unfortunately, this means he would have 4 separate retirement plans, each with a little bit of money (at least for now).

Also, someone please correct me if I'm wrong on these facts: I can contribute to a Roth IRA this year (even though I'm not working) since my husband is working. We can contribute up to $2000 apiece to each Roth IRA and the amount that I convert from my soon-to-be traditional IRA will not count towards that amount right?

Whew, so much to think about, it is easy to get overwhelmed! Any advice is much appreciated.

thanks,
mrw
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Story Behind the Story
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement