UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: LibraryAnn Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2282  
Subject: What to do before trying? Date: 10/20/2003 7:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi all,

I hope you don't mind me popping in to say hello and ask a quick question. My partner and I are thinking we will start trying next year (at age 25). I have my yearly appointment next month, so I want to go ahead and ask my doctor some questions while I'm there.

One thing I read in a couple pregnancy books is that you should get STD testing done before conceiving, if possible. This is something I've never done and I'm thinking it might be a good idea. My question is, is this something any of you have done? I'm a little nervous asking my doctor about it, though I'm sure he really won't care. I'm mostly concerned about my insurance. Do you think getting tested before pregnancy will make me look high-risk to my insurance, and if so can it affect my coverage at all? I'm on an state-sponsored HMO, if that matters.

And I'd welcome any other suggestions for things to talk about with my OB/GYN.

thanks!

laura
Print the post Back To Top
Author: wrnglrjan Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1262 of 2282
Subject: Re: What to do before trying? Date: 10/20/2003 7:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I'm a little nervous asking my doctor about it, though I'm sure he really won't care. I'm mostly concerned about my insurance.

If your insurance covers well care (an annual pelvic exam, etc.), I would think it would be fine to go for a "pre-pregnancy" physical, which would include STD testing.

I'd welcome any other suggestions for things to talk about with my OB/GYN.

I'd have a talk about birth control. If you've been on some kind of hormonal birth control (the pill, the shot, the patch), you'll want to be off it for a while before you try to conceive. Some doctors will recommend 3 or 6 months. I know it was close to 2 years before my body started behaving normally after I went off the pill. During whatever time you choose, you'll want to use an alternative form of birth control. Your doctor should be able to talk to you about your options.

By next year, do you mean a year from now? Or next calendar year, which starts in a 2 1/2 months? If you're planning to start trying in the next few months, you'll want to get some prenatal vitamins. If you have weight issues (over or under), before you're pregnant is a good time to start making changes. Even if you don't get to your ideal weight before you're pregnant, you will have some better habit to fall back on. The time to start an exercise regimen is now, too, since most doctors will tell you, when you first get pregnant, that continuing your current activity level is great, but to not get crazy starting something new. All the data indicates that active women have more comfortable pregnancies and births, so you want to be one of them. :)

I think I'd just say just what you said here. You're thinking about trying to become pregnant soon and what, if anything, does your doctor think you should do prior to that?

Congratulations in advance. :)

Jan

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1263 of 2282
Subject: Re: What to do before trying? Date: 10/21/2003 9:26 AM
I just went for the full battery of STD testing here because they require it for pre-IVF. Don't ask me why...

There are a couple of things you want to have done - the full pelvic, including checking for certain types of bacteria that can cause issues during delivery. They're extremely common, and if you do have them they'll handle it in the hospital, no problem.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of blood draws, and the eight vials they took Saturday nearly had me in screaming fits. However, I was not particularly concerned about STDs, they still required testing for marriage when I got married and so I haven't thought about it since.

If you have a question, you can call your insurance company and ask them to make the matter confidential, and ask them if there would be any repercussions. You can also simply have your ob-gyn prescribe all the lab work as diagnostics and that's all there is to it... like I said, I had it done just this Saturday. And, with a state-sponsored HMO I don't think they'll give you a problem.

I second Jan's recommendation about transitioning from birth control forms to "trying" to get pregnant. What are you on currently? The standard seemed to be "stop taking the Pill, wait two months, have fun." But they told me that if it happened two weeks after stopping the Pill, no big deal, don't worry about it. I don't know anything about other forms of birth control, especially hormone-based ones like the Patch.

Good luck to you, I hope you have a fun and stress-free experience, and a simple and easy pregnancy!

Alison

Author: TeacherH Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1266 of 2282
Subject: Re: What to do before trying? Date: 10/21/2003 6:28 PM
Recommendations: 1
Depending on what the guidelines are in your home state, at your first prenatal checkup after you know you are pregnant, they will do a full STD workup anyway. In my state it is required by law. But of course there are drugs you should not take while pregnant, so it really is better to find out about any unwelcome surprises before getting pregnant, so you can treat things properly then. That is the reason for the advice about STD testing before getting pregnant. Lots of people have a "silent" infection of one kind or other and don't know about it.

You've gotten good advice from others about questions to ask. The other thing I would add is you could call your Dr. office and ask to speak wtih a nurse anonymously - just say you are one of Dr. Whosis's patients and want to ask an anonymous question. Then you can ask the about what the normal routines are there for STD testing, and what they know about insurance reporting.

Good luck and best wishes for a smooth conception and healthy pregnancy,
TeacherH

Author: LibraryAnn Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1267 of 2282
Subject: Re: What to do before trying? Date: 10/21/2003 7:02 PM
Thanks!

I'm on birth control pills right now. I started them about a year ago to help with some issues with my cycle. I've never been regular, until now, so I'm curious to know how crazy my cycle will be after I get off of them. I will ask my doctor about when I should do that.

I'm not particularly concerned about getting pregnant, though there are three different times in my life when I really should have gotten pregnant, but did not. So if I do have problems I won't be completely surprised, but I'm not going to worry about it until that happens.

We are thinking of starting to try in the summer of next year. We are finally getting married in March (after being together several years) and we plan on selling our current house in the Spring. So after that is done we will get started!

Thanks for the well wishes and advice!

Author: Selphiras Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1269 of 2282
Subject: Re: What to do before trying? Date: 10/22/2003 12:10 PM
By the way, the new studies on getting pregnant after being on the pill indicate that you are likely to do so within 3 months after getting off it. The main point is that you *should* try as hard as possible right away rather than skipping those 3 months.

That STD law one person mentioned: does anyone else think that's a bit of a personal violation? I have no chance of having an STD. I would like being forced to have tests for anything, much less worthless tests. The assumption is that you are at risk!

Selphiras

Author: TeacherH Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1270 of 2282
Subject: Re: What to do before trying? Date: 10/22/2003 1:30 PM
That STD law one person mentioned: does anyone else think that's a bit of a personal violation? I have no chance of having an STD. I would like being forced to have tests for anything, much less worthless tests. The assumption is that you are at risk!

Exactly. The state found out that a whole lot of people who were sure they could not possibly have an STD, did have one, and the cost to test everybody and treat the few who were positive was less than the cost of treating the sick babies of the few who had STDs and didn't get treatment. They don't care how you or I feel about it, it is a numbers game and they are doing it to save money.

Probably the people who find out they do have an STD are glad to know and get it treated, once they get over the shock of finding out, and once they take out their wrath on their DH or whoever passed it along...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement