No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey everyone, here's a mini-update...

While I typically collect outstanding balances on freelance jobs at the delivery date of the project, the current customer i'm working for took a small business loan out to pay for some school improvements, including the website (which i'm doing) -- so as a result, I received a check for their outstanding balance in the mail yesterday, which I promptly deposited in to checking last night knowing I would be here this morning asking for some advice on how to best use this unexpected income at this time.

So for those of you who want a bit of background, here's my initial post with my balances and such:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=24652741

To update that information a bit, i've got just over $100 in my ING Direct e-fund now, and i'm hoping to get that up to $1000 to help me sleep better while in paydown mode. So i've added $200 a month to my budget devoted to funding that.

Things coming up...

January vehicle inspection, christmas gifts, sister's birthday (end of november) and the main thing which is making this a difficult choice:

My company pays us monthly, but I get $1000 advance on the 15th each month, so i've always had a direct deposit on or before the 15th of each month. Well now they're changing that so we'll be getting checks, which need to be signed by the CEO as do expense checks. As a result of this, since the CEO travels so often out of state/country/etc, they cannot guarantee the timely arrival of checks each month. Essentially this makes it fairly simple to make an effort to plan my entire month around my monthly salary, and opt out of the advance plan altogether. I can't stand not knowing if my check is coming in time to make my (due on 18th) recently refi'd car loan to my CU.

So the problem is, if I go this route, I will get paid at end of October. I then need to have money to last me until end of november. So perhaps I shouldn't put a large chunk to e-fund, some to CC snowball, as i'll need the money to cover my mid-November bills? Theoretically, this is just like delaying my e-fund/snowball gratification until end of November paycheck, right? (it will be $1000 more than expected, but i'll then have all of December's bills to pay, so is that right?)

Or should I just fund ING direct up to the amount of the freelance check, less my planned snowball for November, pay snowball out of freelance check with remaining amount, then skip snowball to assure i'll be covered for all of November?

The amount of my freelance check is $1030 and change.

Thanks in advance!
Mike (trying to do the right thing, which for once in my life doesn't sound like "shopping spree!")
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement