Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Surky Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19409  
Subject: What to do with IRA distributions Date: 2/18/2000 5:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
SHOCK! Had tax appointment today. Have turned 71. Must start taking distributions from IRA's. Don't need that much money at this time. Also inherited some bonds - don't know what to do with that monthly income either, except leaving it with brokerage at 3% is not good. Am studying The Bond Book as recommended - GNMA and FNMA are a nightmare I can hopefully deal with later. I don't want to roll over these annuities where they are - if at all? Would love to hear from somebody who has been there, done that. What to do?

Surky
Print the post Back To Top
Author: NYMOM One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2320 of 19409
Subject: Re: What to do with IRA distributions Date: 2/18/2000 6:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
For cash reserves, I buy 5 year treasuries. They are now yielding arount %6.5. They are safe and very liguid, although you could loose some principal if sold before maturity.

Author: jasmada One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2330 of 19409
Subject: Re: What to do with IRA distributions Date: 2/18/2000 8:49 PM
Properly , protect your investment and you'll have them forever and you can move them around weekly just so you can say you can.

Author: mattpam Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2331 of 19409
Subject: Re: What to do with IRA distributions Date: 2/18/2000 9:00 PM
Its nice to have these kind of problems, I'm 71 and can offer a couple of thoughts. As far as investing is concerned look at municipal bonds paying taxfree income and for stocks with high rate of appreciation so you can generate capital gain income at lower tax rates. You should learn how to do your own research in these two areas; take advantage of being retired and having more time to bone up on this subject, taking other people's advice(especially brokers) can be very costly! Finally, consider increasing contributions to charity as a way to reduce the tax bite. Good Luck! - - Matthew

Author: mepiper One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2335 of 19409
Subject: Re: What to do with IRA distributions Date: 2/18/2000 11:55 PM
JASMADA, Whey don't go some were else to hawk your insurance, we are getting tired of it here. You've set yourself up as an expert on every subject. Well the FOOLS on this board are smarter than you think. FOOLS---BEWARE mepiper PS< DO NOT E-MAIL ME AGAIN!!!

Author: jasmada One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2337 of 19409
Subject: Re: What to do with IRA distributions Date: 2/19/2000 12:15 AM
Recommendations: 1
Every subject ? EVERY - wow thats a big word, and hawk huh ? hmmm Support, Defend, advise and counsel but never hawk. Politicians hawk, jasmada no hawk. Ahhh me new screen name no hawk jasmada....you know there is more to life than what you read here and it is not for everybody, hope your week is going well, with the market being down and all....Its rotten having a taste of loss in your mouth I know, its hitting me too.....but, I am protected.

Always keep new batteries in your flashlight.
Carry a pocket knfe
Kiss your kids goodnight and tell em you love em.
Exercise
Keep a blanket in the car
Pay your bills
Never drive drunk

Ah you know all this .....see you have tons of insurance and you never knew it.

Jim

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement