UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: foundapenny Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3278  
Subject: What to read next? Date: 10/1/2001 4:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
I just finished Nicholas & Alexandra. I loved it. What should I read next?

Penny
so many books, such little time
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SRHCB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 494 of 3278
Subject: Re: What to read next? Date: 10/1/2001 4:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto

Author: foundapenny Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 495 of 3278
Subject: Re: What to read next? Date: 10/1/2001 4:29 PM
Recommendations: 7
I haven't heard of that one. What is it about?

Author: SRHCB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 496 of 3278
Subject: Re: What to read next? Date: 10/1/2001 4:43 PM
I checked your profile and last 10 posts and noticed you seemed to like short concise replys. So much for that theory. Anyway, if you haven't experienced modern Japanese fiction, this is a good place to start. Try Amazon (or your favorite site) for reviews.

Other than that, trust me on this one.

SRHCB; getting ready to celebrate 50 years of knowing how to read (all too) soon!

Author: Gator8387 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 497 of 3278
Subject: Re: What to read next? Date: 10/1/2001 5:39 PM
Only Japanese fiction I have read is Yukio Mishima, which I thought was good, for a gay militant nationalist martial artist, he was a pretty interesting guy.

Author: SRHCB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 498 of 3278
Subject: Re: What to read next? Date: 10/2/2001 9:44 AM
RE: Japanese fiction - Yukio Mishima

I haven't read Mishima yet, although I've seen the name mentioned in reviews. Besides Banana Yoshimoto I've read "Almost Transparent Blue" and "Coin Locker Babies" by Ryu Murakami and "South of the Border West of the Sun" & "The Wind Up Bird Chronicle" by Haruki Murakami. I read these all in the past month and I'm really enjoying it!

My only previous exposure to Japanese Fiction was through short stories in the New Yorker. The books are all a bit "unsettling(?)" and not what you'd call upbeat, but I find them satifying and comforting in an odd way.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement